The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, March 6, 2006

Things That Make Me Laugh!

My new "Woman's Day" magazine came today. I haven't even opened the cover yet, and I'm already laughing! Here's this month's stuff to ponder:

1. "10 Recipes You Can't Live Without"
Well, friends, I guess this is my "goodbye" because I don't plan to use these recipes, and if I really can't live without them, I guess I'll be going home to Heaven very soon! Finally! Just what I've been wanting!!
Woo-hoo!!!

2. "Lose Weight, No Dieting"
Hmmmm...just what I've been trying to avoid! I already lose weight too easily! My struggle is to keep from losing weight! Oh, boy. Let me know if you want me to mail this article to you.

3. "6 Cookies from 1 Easy Recipe"
Spend all that time baking and only get six cookies??? (How big are the cookies?) I think it's a whole lot better to get more than six cookies out of one recipe, preferrably about 3 dozen or so (better yet--double the recipe and get twice the amount for your efforts)!

If you don't see a new post show up here for awhile, it's just possible that either:
1. I died from going without the recipes I just couldn't live without; or
2. I lost too much weight (without dieting) and ended up in the hospital; or
3. I'm busy making lots of batches of cookie dough, since I can only get six cookies out of each batch!

Oh, but wait...there's another article that might be worthwhile here: "How to Take Charge of Your Happiness" (by Holly C. Corbett) . It's time to open the cover and check this out! Here's the basic plan:

1. Get inspired
"To figure out what gives you a rush, spend an afternoon browsing through a bookstore. It'll help you zero in on your interests and might even spark a new hobby." (I know from my own experience what that will do for me: It will cause me to spend my money buying some books!)

2. Know thyself
"The ability to highlight your good points, rather than relying on others to do it for you, helps build inner confidence. Our ability to promote ourselves is directly connected to our self-esteem." (Hmmm...I think this might lead to a problem with pride, yet I once heard a music pastor say, "He that tooteth not his own horn, same shall not be tooted!")

3. Reflect
"Each day, note three small triumphs...do it every night before bed as a reflective wrap-up to remind youself of your strengths and accomplishments." (Sounds like good advice!)

4. Slow down
"Spend some time doing nothing--whether it's for five minutes or half an hour. Stay in the shower a little longer; sit on the front porch and watch the sunset; or linger over your morning cup of coffee." (This one sounds wonderful!)

5. Listen to your gut
(Mine is usually rumbling because of all the problems with my digestive system. I'd rather listen to praise music.)

In conclusion -- my personal favorite:
6. "Give yourself the same encouragement that you would give a friend, to help you feel better fast!" (Think long and hard on this one!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love you Jeannie!! Thank's for your posts. I really do love them. Yes, 6 "giant" cookies would be just fine with me! When will you have them ready?

My waist doesn't have much trouble accepting sugar lately. Humm???
Especially the pepsi kind.

A little time for myself, hum?? That's ok with me! I took that time Sunday morning! Oops, I let the cat out of the bag! Now, I'm really in a stew, about what to do. Take this confession back out of here, or remain very glad that I used my day of rest, for my day of rest. Humm?? I'll let it stay in here. I feel much better for being honest.

Mister Ed T said...

Thanks for your wacky look at some (not so) wise advice! They don't work in our own strength so we need to say what David said to himself when he was discouraged: "Hope in God!"