The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Honestly Admitting to the Stages of Our Ages

We recently visited a different church, and filled out a visitor card. I cringed just a bit as I had to check the box for our age group, noticing that my age group is getting awfully close to the end of the age groups listed. (Not a very comfortable thought!)

To add a bit of amusement to this process, I suggest using the following list of age groups:

· Tickled to reach my teens

· Testing my way through the teen years

· Teetering on the edge of twenty and toasting my arrival in adulthood

· Tasting the freedom of the twenties

· Tiptoeing out of the twenties, but truthfully thrilled to enter the thirties

· Thrashing my way through the terrific thirties

· Thinking the end is near and fearing the forties

· Finding fun and fullfillment in the forties

· Finalizing the feats of the forties and facing the "fall" of the fifties

· Finding my way through the ferociously fiery furnace of the fifties

· Finally finishing up the fitfull fifties and secretly stepping into the sixties

· Savoring the simpler life of the sixties

· Slinking past the sixties and slipping into the seventies

· Sliding along the slippery slopes of the seventies

· Sailing past the seventies and easing my way into the eighties

· Enduring the extra efforts of the eighties

· Eagerly escaping from the eighties and nodding off into the nineties

· Napping through the nineties and holding on for dear life--hoping to reach a hundred

· Happily hanging in there after passing the 100-year mile-marker, but hoping for my heavenly home-going

Wouldn't this be a lot more fun to read through on a church visitor card? Perhaps there would be audible chuckling as visitors filled out the card, which would lighten the discomfort of being a visitor. Perhaps the chuckles would spread and little bits of laughter would be heard throughout the entire auditorium, which would make one wonder what others were laughing about, which would then bring smiles to the faces of most of the attenders, which would, in turn, make the visitor want to return to that church, dontcha think?

A further thought: All that smiling and chuckling might just cause people to be more cheerful givers! By George, I think this just might work!
If I get an opportunity, perhaps I'll suggest it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, I really like your descriptions of each "season" of age. I can tell you from experience that the "sixties" are not the simpler life. It seems that we are on the go all the time, and life with kids and grandkids can get pretty complicated. A challenge and blessing all at the same time.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Jeannie, I think you ought to go get that printed up on cards, and present the idea to "all church's". That is really cute. I like it.

Anonymous said...

You have my vote!

Eagle-eye Di said...

I think you have made a wonderful discovery.I smile just imagining it happen in a church auditorium.You have hit on a wonderful,workable plan for churches.I agree with Colleen,submit it right away.