The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

An Afternoon of Pure Delight

My visit to Pilgrims Bookstore today turned out to be a delightful experience! I spent, ummm...oh, probably about four and a half hours there, browsing to my heart's content! For the price of $24, six books came home with me:


1. "Expresso For a Woman's Spirit, Book 2", by Pam Vredevelt
(Encouraging Stories of Hope and Humor)

2. "Hugs from Heaven -- Embraced by the Savior", by Caron Loveless and LeAnn Weiss
(Sayings, Scriptures, and Stories from the Bible, Revealing God's Love)

3. "Abiding in Christ" by Cynthia Heald
(Becoming a Woman Who Walks With God -- a Month of Devotionals)

4. "A Joy I'd Never Known", by Jan Dravecky, with Connie Neal
(One Woman's Triumph Over Panic Attacks and Depression)

5. "Plant a Geranium in Your Cranium", by Barbara Johnson
(Sprouting Seeds of Joy in the Manure of Life)

6. "Living Somewhere Between Estrogen and Death", by Barbara Johnson (From Savoring the "here and now" to preparing for our glorious future in Heaven -- Your wise and witty guide to the joys and challenges of aging gleefully)

What a bunch of fun reading I have ahead of me -- can't wait to dig in!

Last night I finished the book I was reading ("Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy", by Barbara Johnson), and then started "Splashes of Joy in the Cesspools of Life", also by Barbara Johnson (An invigoratiang spurt of encouragement and gentle reminder to splatter joy into the lives of others). Plus, I recently started "Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul--Book 2", Compiled by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and LeAnn Thieman (Stories of Faith, Hope and Healing).

Since I finished my quilt project, I've done a lot of reading lately. I have deliberately chosen books to chase away the winter blues and put a new spring in my step! Larry's always asking, "Okay, what's funny now?" because I frequently can't contain my giggles at the stuff Barbara Johnson writes. The icing on the cake to all this fun reading is that, twice in the night last night, I woke up laughing out loud in my dreams!

Laughter is so good for the soul!!! (It's my drug of choice.)
From Barbara Johnson, I have learned that:
  • "Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face."
  • "Laughter is like jogging on the inside."
  • "A good cry is a wet-wash, but a hearty laugh gives you a dry-cleaning."

From Solomon of old, I learned that, ""A cheerful heart is good medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)

So, I'm taking my medicine daily by laughing my way through some good books! I highly recommend it to you, too -- it's a sure cure for the blues!

4 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Sounds like you had a great afternoon! Taking time to browse the bookstore and buy a few good ones to read, is a great thing to do. I have a couple of Barbara Johnson's books. They are good!

Laughter is definately "Good For The Soul". I don't believe God meant for us to live our lives "In Tears".

Mister Ed T said...

Laughter brightens any day and as a bonus adds to your physical health. Mark Lowery, Ken Davis, Tim Lovelace, etc., should live long lives, and help us do the same!

Montana Sherry C said...

Six books for $24? That's pretty good! You're becoming quite the bargain shopper.

I look forward to reading book reviews for each of them here.

Eagle-eye Di said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your time in the bookstore and came home with arms full.You know what? I needed to be in that there bookstore right along with you.I've not been reading lately.I tend to run in cycles,reading lots then taking a break for awhile.I think its time to get back into my Karen Kingsbury books again.The fame collection was the next series I want to do.The only thing is I go on Ebay to get her books alittle less costly.Love ya.