The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Highly Recommended Reading

If you haven't read "Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy" (by Barbara Johnson, founder of "Spatula Ministries") -- I highly recommend you do so! This is, perhaps, the best book I have ever read!

Barbara Johnson has an amazing ability to be hilariously funny without even trying, yet deeply profound in her look at life (and the "cesspools" thereof)! While reading this, one moment I am laughing myself silly, and the next minute I am totally in awe of what she just said, wanting to share it all with someone else. I've had to continually restrain myself from running to my computer to post her writings on my blog. She has endured just about every pain life has to offer, has suffered beyond belief, but can still laugh at life and find joy in the process!

This book may be difficult to find, but it's well-worth the effort! It was originally published in 1990 and republished in 2004 by W Publishing Group. To entice you to read this book, here's a list of the chapter titles:

  1. Pain is Inevitable, But Misery Is Optional
  2. I Can Handle Any Crisis--I'm a Mother
  3. It's Always Darkest Just Before It Goes Totally Black
  4. I Feel so Much Better Now That I've Given Up Hope
  5. One Laugh = 3 Tbsp. Oat Bran
  6. Guilt--The Gift That Keeps on Giving
  7. One Day I Shall Burst My Buds of Calm and Blossom into Hysteria
  8. I Married Mr. Wumphee
  9. Wrinkles are God's Little Way of Saying..."I'm Stepping on Your Face"
  10. I Don't Recall Asking For Any of This
  11. My Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

If you need a good laugh (and most likely you do), plus you need some encouragement to go on when life is hard -- you need to read this book! You won't be sorry -- I guarantee it!

No comments: