It has been an incredible day for me! I didn't realize it until just a few minutes ago, when suddenly my mind was flooded with recognition of all that God did for me today. Happiness has been waning lately, and I've been pleading with God to restore my joy. Today He has been at it all day long, but I didn't add it all up till now, nearly 9:00 P.M.
This morning I was treated to the great pleasure of finding a personally rewarding email from a total stranger. Yesterday I received an email (a "mass-mailing" type note) from someone I worked with in Michigan 36 years ago, asking for prayer for a baby girl who has an inoperable brain tumor. Although I don't know any of the people involved, I prayed and sent a note to the email address given. The email I received back today was a huge blessing to me, and exactly what my heart needed.
This afternoon I spent time at a Christian bookstore, intending to buy something written by Barbara Johnson -- "Pack Up Your Gloomies in a Great Big Box, Then Sit on the Lid and Laugh!". Although I didn't find that book, I did find two other books written by her, older books that were on a discount table at 60% off! ("Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy!" and "Splashes of Joy in the Cesspools of Life").
Also, as I spent time browsing the bookshelves, I noticed a book on relationships that especially caught my attention. Skimming one particular chapter, I suddenly had full understanding of something that has caused me great consternation for quite awhile. What I read hit me like a ton of bricks, and suddenly a light was turned on in a dark room in my heart! There was no mistaking the truth, and as I drove home a great weight was lifted from my shoulders. The truth had finally set me free, and it had nothing to do with the reason I had gone to the bookstore! At least I didn't think so then, but now, as I think about it, I can see clearly that it had everything to do with why I went to that bookstore!
(I didn't know, but God did!)
This evening I had the unexpected pleasure of spending time alone with my son while my husband is working late. Oh, how I needed that time with him -- an opportunity to share my heart with him and receive his wise counsel.
After he left, I discovered a new comment on my blog (from my sister, Colleen), and it just blew me away! I read it several times, trying to figure out how she could possibly have known what to say, since we have not had any communication lately. It sounds to me like God must have told her my thoughts during the last few days. I just sat here shaking my head in disbelief and in the realization that God took care of my need without me expressing it.
This morning I was treated to the great pleasure of finding a personally rewarding email from a total stranger. Yesterday I received an email (a "mass-mailing" type note) from someone I worked with in Michigan 36 years ago, asking for prayer for a baby girl who has an inoperable brain tumor. Although I don't know any of the people involved, I prayed and sent a note to the email address given. The email I received back today was a huge blessing to me, and exactly what my heart needed.
This afternoon I spent time at a Christian bookstore, intending to buy something written by Barbara Johnson -- "Pack Up Your Gloomies in a Great Big Box, Then Sit on the Lid and Laugh!". Although I didn't find that book, I did find two other books written by her, older books that were on a discount table at 60% off! ("Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy!" and "Splashes of Joy in the Cesspools of Life").
Also, as I spent time browsing the bookshelves, I noticed a book on relationships that especially caught my attention. Skimming one particular chapter, I suddenly had full understanding of something that has caused me great consternation for quite awhile. What I read hit me like a ton of bricks, and suddenly a light was turned on in a dark room in my heart! There was no mistaking the truth, and as I drove home a great weight was lifted from my shoulders. The truth had finally set me free, and it had nothing to do with the reason I had gone to the bookstore! At least I didn't think so then, but now, as I think about it, I can see clearly that it had everything to do with why I went to that bookstore!
(I didn't know, but God did!)
This evening I had the unexpected pleasure of spending time alone with my son while my husband is working late. Oh, how I needed that time with him -- an opportunity to share my heart with him and receive his wise counsel.
After he left, I discovered a new comment on my blog (from my sister, Colleen), and it just blew me away! I read it several times, trying to figure out how she could possibly have known what to say, since we have not had any communication lately. It sounds to me like God must have told her my thoughts during the last few days. I just sat here shaking my head in disbelief and in the realization that God took care of my need without me expressing it.
Then I sat down with one of my new books ("Stick a Geranium in Your Hat and Be Happy!") and began to read. Again, it's just what I needed! Barbara Johnson is known for her joyful attitude toward life, especially in the face of extreme difficulties and suffering. Although I've read only the preface and Chapter One ("Pain is Inevitable, but Misery is Optional") so far, I've enjoyed it immensely already! In light of my blog title (and some of my writings), the following was especially noteworthy to me:
Am I a Little Too Joyful?
"Sometimes people think I'm a little too joyful--that I'm ducking reality and ignoring the painful facts of life. But I simply tell them I'm not ignoring the facts--I'm just looking at them and trying to find joy, not misery." (by Barbara Johnson)
That's my viewpoint, as well. If Barbara Johnson can get away with it, then so can I!It was during the reading of her book that it suddenly hit me -- God has been splashing my life full of joy all day long today! In answer to my desperate cries for His help, over the last few days, He is watching over me and providing a measure of His joy to meet my needs--my exact needs! He's like that, yes, He is!
1 comment:
One thing I have learned, is that we need to follow thru with the Lord's "wispering" in your ear. Or is that, "The Holy Spirit"?? One in the same, I know. No, I didn't know what you needed, but God did. And I finalized "His" working in your life, at that moment. God is Good! Thank you Jeannie, for sharing that with me. I love you.
Post a Comment