The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Enjoying the Birds

In case, you haven't picked up on this yet, I just want to proclaim, once again, what an absolute bird-lover I am! They are wonderful little creatures that speak to me of freedom and cheerfulness. As I was sitting here at my desk (playing a computer game), I noticed little birds on the bird feeder hanging in a tree just outside my window, and then a big fat robin came to sit on the branch just above the feeder. I watch in wonder and amazement at these little "pets" of mine that fill my yard and entertain me throughout my day.

The question that haunts me is, "Why would anyone want to keep a bird in a cage?" God created birds to fly! Caging these fine-feathered friends seems like cruel and unusual punishment to little creatures who were meant to have freedom! Although I grew up in a home that had a caged bird, and know lots of people who have found enjoyment in that, I just don't get it! Birds were meant to fly, not just sit on a perch all day long!

Let freedom ring! Let the birds sing--outdoors where they belong! If you want to hear them sing, open the windows or get outside and enjoy them in their natural habitat! Watch them flit and fly freely, and thank God for bringing this bit of cheerfulness into your world! Feeding them brings cheerfulness into your heart as well! My birds know me as the hand that feeds them -- they watch me refill their feeders, and sometimes they come and "knock" on the window to let me know their feeders are empty. The Bible tells us that God feeds the sparrows. I finally figured that out -- He put it within my heart to be one of His "feeders". I love doing that!

My daughter's family gave me a bird book for Christmas, and she wrote on the inside of the cover, "May you always enjoy the beauty of the world around you. Happy bird-watching!" Yessss! I do, and I never tire of it!

Thanks, God, for the beautiful world you created for our enjoyment, and all the wonderful creatures you added for our benefit and pleasure!

3 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Yep! Birds are one of God's most awsome creations! Such a cute, fun to watch little specie. I have done most my watching at mom and dad's in Montana, sitting at their dining room table. I need to get a couple of bird feeders for in front of my home. i do have the trees to put them in. And a bird bath maybe!

Thanks for posting your article Jeannie. I enjoyed reading it. I know how much you enjoy watching the birds.

Anonymous said...

Makes me remember the couple of bird pictures I took in Hawaii. How about capturing some pictures of your "pets" and posting them. Use that zoom on your camera to get up close and personal.

Anonymous said...

When I was a young Mum I would get together with other young mums (as one does). One of them had birds in her house and she would let them out of the cage when I came over. In a matter of minutes I would be under her kitchen table. Birds in the wild are one thing, lovely - but birds in the house, now that is a whole different kind of scenario!!!!