One of my favorite fine-feathered friends who frequents my front yard
This picture was taken on Wednesday morning, looking through my living room window. In the midst of trying to have my "quiet time", I was quite distracted by all the activity of the birds and the antics of a gray squirrel in my yard.The night before had been a fitful, sleepless night, due to the frustrating frequency of hot flashes. I tried staying in bed in the morning, hoping to fall back asleep, desperately needing some good rest, but alas, none was forthcoming. So I reluctantly arose, bravely attempting to be cheerful about the start of a new day.
Sitting in my blue chair, sipping down a good dose of caffeine, I found my spirits lifted by the treat of an extra-exuberant and extravagant variety of birds (plus a very energetic little gray squirrel), all enjoying my yard at the same time. There were doves, sparrows, chickadees, nuthatches, junkos, various finches, blue jays, crows, a spotted towhee, and a hummingbird. I thought to myself, "All I'm missing are the quail and a flicker" (oh, plus a robin or two). I kept resisting the urge to grab my camera to capture this wonderful little bunch of wildlife "pets", thinking, "Taking pictures through the glass window won't do justice to what I'm seeing with my own eyes." But when the flicker showed up, I just had to run for my camera.
Besides the delight of seeing the flicker (a woodpecker), the real icing on the cake was watching the comical interaction of the squirrel and a blue jay--fighting over the rights to the corn in the squirrel feeder. (Yes, I also have a real, designated squirrel feeder, made by my son, as a Christmas present to me.) The blue jay was seriously determined to steal kernals of corn from the squirrel feeder, taking turns with the squirrel, who was repeatedly zipping up and down the tree, jumping in and out of the feeder--staying just long enough each time to take half a bite of a kernal of corn, and then scampering off to find just the perfect spot to bury the rest of it somewhere in my yard. It was hilarious! How on earth this silly squirrel expects to be able to find those little bits of corn again later, I have no idea! Perhaps he's getting ready for an "Easter egg hunt" for all his friends! (I wonder if they'll all show up with cute little baskets.) Maybe I should come up with a prize for the winner! Any suggestions?
4 comments:
Sandy, this one's for you, since you requested pictures of my "pets", and you live on Flickerham Drive.
Great picture. My goodness you do have a huge variety of birds. Did you get a bird book so you know what they are? Bill had to thwart some sparrows from building a nest behind the porch light. He put a small box between the siding and the light. He said they made a terrible ruckus after that!
I would have loved to have been there with you, with a cup of coffee, just sitting and watching your birds. Awsome! Thanks Jeannie, for posting the pictures.
Hot flashes are prevelent in my neck of the woods also.I keep wondering why suddenly their back so bad.I am not sleeping well either.This morning I was steaming up my glasses while I was checking over our applications for passports.Looking forward to the wedding.Birds are fun to watch.Like the birds at McDonnalds the other day.I have never seen birds washing themselves in dirt like they do water.They had me mezmerized into watching them.Their little bodies squirming around and around in the dirt like they we're in a bird bath full of water to bathe.
Post a Comment