The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, March 6, 2006

Today is a brand new day!

It has started out well, and good things lie ahead! How can it go wrong if my attitude is right? So much of how our days go has to do with our own attitude toward our circumstances, but that is so hard to remember! It takes strong discipline of our thought life -- taking control of negative and positive thinking!

I'm currently involved in a study (with Roberta) called "Battlefield of the Mind" (written by Joyce Meyer). It is an excellent tool for learning this discipline of the mind, but during this time of getting together with her, I've noticed something: The battle has only increased! Why? Because the devil would prefer that I not make progress in this area of my life. He would like to keep me bound up in negative thinking and discouragement, so that I am less useful in God's plan for my life. Oh, may it not be so! I will continue in this battle for good and right thinking!

Even my return to blogging has been an avenue for discouragement. When I post, I desire feedback. I want comments! It's the way I receive confirmation and encouragement to continue blogging. I've quit blogging a few times since I began in October of 2004, but when I returned to it in December of 2005, I was determined not to let lack of comments get me down. Determined, I tell you! Yet, once again, with few comments coming forth, discouragement set in.

Today I received an email from a dear friend (Sandy) in Michigan. At first I felt a bit like, "But, you just don't understand how important comments are to a blogger!" But, as I reread her letter and gave more thought to it, I knew she was right, and I knew I had just received wise, caring counsel from a good friend! She offered her permission to share any part of her letter with my readers, so, just in case it may help another blogger as well, here is a part of it:

"Please don’t get discouraged that you don’t get as many comments on your blog as you think you should. In my eyes, a blog is just a personal diary that you are writing for yourself and expressing how you feel on a particular day—you are just “unlocking” it for others to read, becoming transparent. God has given you a real gift of expressing yourself, and it is much better than holding it within. The most important “reader”, God, is reading it (your heart) and knows your joy or discouragements before you do, and He’s preparing a message for you. Might be through a sunrise or sunset, the promise of beautiful flowers in the garden you planted, through a meeting with a friend, or a date with your husband. All have a way of spreading brightness in our days. The choice is, do we wallow in the discouragements, or choose to take the joy that is given to us. "

Thanks, Sandy, I needed that!

Now, on with my day -- time to get over to Roberta's house!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I taught that course once (the Joyce Meyer's thing) in Den Haag....
lack of comments...well it does not mean we do not read.....I like comments as well, but I understand that there are days when I cannot even get on the computer for my Dad is using it and my wireless is not set up here yet...I tried yesterday to do it but failed miserably...so I have to hire 'a man'....thank God for them!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

"Battlefield Of The Mind" Humm??

My mind at the moment, is saying, "Thank goodness I wrote my comments before you posted your blog!"

We all know how it feels to not get comments. It "can be" discouraging, most definately. And that's what the ole devil wants. He has suceeded once again. I'm sorry for my lack of comments. I will say that we are each one, caught up in our own little world, our own world of reality. I know where I am during the week, and what I'm doing. And in my thinking, I figure that if "I" have the time to get in here to read, then others most likely have also. Then where are they? Humm??? I'm here, "but where is anyone else??