The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow - Whenever!

This morning while I was in the shower (actually, it was yesterday), I remembered that I now get the fun of looking back at the today of yesteryear, in the archives of this blog. I suppose it seems silly, but that thought brought simple excitement! I was eager to finish up with my shower so I could go and see what I wrote a year ago today.

First, I was disappointed to see that I hadn't written anything on May 17th. (I was busy all day with teaching a ladies' Bible study in the morning and getting a perm in the afternoon.) Then an idea hit me: Today I could look back at what I wrote "tomorrow" (May 18, 2005), and then write tomorrow's post today, but publish it tomorrow! That way I get to experience "yesterday, today, and tomorrow" all in one day! So, today's post (actually written yesterday) will be published tomorrow--I mean today. Get it?

What I wrote a year ago on May 18th was all about joy--the joys of yesterday, the newness of today, and the hope of tomorrow:

"There's always another new stage--another segment of our journey--things change, yet there's always new joy to be experienced! There is new joy to be found in every new day, in every new situation, and in every new stage of life. Finding joy in a new segment of my journey through life doesn't mean I have decided that this new stage is better or worse than what brought me great joy before, and it doesn't mean that what I experienced before is now just to be forgotten as I move into the next stage of my life. It just means that my entire life should be a joyful journey--whatever stage I'm in --whatever segment of the journey I'm on -- there will always be new joys just waiting to be discovered!"

Today when I think about joy, I realize again that joy isn't found in the circumstances of my life, it's in the peace and contentment that can be experienced in my daily walk with God, as I learn to find my joy in Him. Yesterday's joy and the newness of today are simply tomorrow's memories! The sadness of yesterday can be replaced by new joyfulness today, and the sadness of today can be replaced by new hope for tomorrow.

I find new hope in this old saying: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Perhaps, therein lies the key to contentment in the circumstances of my life. So, whether I'm parked in pleasant places or riding on rough roads, my goal is to experience contentment--that is, learning to be content, as I keep in mind that "the joy of the Lord is my strength!"

3 comments:

strider1971 said...

it is always good to look back at where we've been and we can learn and get excited again about the joys knowing that more joys are to come. I just want all to know that I've joined the blog crew. my blog site is strider1971-world.blogspot.com hope to see some visitors just started on Wedensday night.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blog world, Dan! Nice to see you here again! I have put a link to your blog, on my blog, and I will be checking in on your blog frequently, so keep on posting, okay?

Eagle-eye Di said...

Today I will read about what you wrote about yesterday and comment on it tomorrow.Your thoughts had me mind boggled for alittle while.My brain waves take alittle time trying to connect with how your brain waves are leading us.Its probably good exercise for this brain of mine but it sure leaves me exhausted afterwards.Time for expresso for a pick me up.I sure wish you could join me.We could put in one of my fresh new dvd's of the Gaither's.Love ya.I enjoyed your post today.Thank-you.Keep it up.