The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Ah, what a nice day it was yesterday!

Mother's Day began with breakfast in bed, served by my dearest friend (and father of my children)--my loving husband Larry. Besides yummy food and coffee, there was also a present (something new to wear to church that morning), and a card (sweetly reminding me of his delight that, besides being his wife and the mother of his children, I am also his lover and his friend), plus a bouquet of flowers--yellow, of course. Not a bad start to a special day!

Next on the agenda was church, with an added bonus--our son joined us! The message given was one of the best I have ever heard for Mother's Day! Shortly after arriving back home, our "adopted daughter" and her family (Jen and Dave and their three young sons) joined us for the rest of the afternoon. On Saturday Larry and I had prepared a 20-lb. turkey, plus some of the fixin's to go with it, so it made for a quick and easy (and delicious) dinner on Sunday. We ate outside on the deck in the sunshine and comfortably warm temperatures.
After our company left, we decided that we shouldn't waste the remaining hours of sunshine, so we (Larry, Jim and I) headed out for a walk along the river, in an area called Kelley Pointe, where two major rivers, the Willamette and the Columbia, join hands and travel on together to the Pacific Ocean.


It's one of my favorite areas, but one I haven't been to for a long time, so that was a nice treat yesterday also! I assumed that would finish off the day, but, no, there was still more to come . . . Next, we went to my favorite fair-weather restaurant -- Island Cafe. Since none of us were hungry, after such a fabulous dinner, we just sat and sipped a cool drink on the dock.

We arrived home just as the sun was setting, painting a gorgeous swatche of bright crimson, streaked with shimmering gold highlights.
I thought, "What a perfect ending to a perfect day!"
However, there was still one more surprise waiting for me . . .

When I checked my email, I discovered that my daughter Sherry had sent me "virtual" flowers of bright yellow to let me know that she had thought of me while enjoying her own time of tranquility and beauty, off on a hike through the woodlands of Montana. (She knows me well.)

Finally, at long last, to finish off the day, Larry and I sat out on the deck, in the darkness, enjoying the stillness of the pleasant night air (with temperatures still in the 70's), and the twinkling lights of the homes on the surrounding hillsides. Incredible! What a view! What a day! What a family! I couldn't have asked for a nicer Mother's Day!

6 comments:

Eagle-eye Di said...

It sounds like you were treated wonderfully by the people you love.Those flowers look loverly.Happy Mother's Day Jeannie.

Mister Ed T said...

Happy Monthers' Day, you spoiled thing!

Anonymous said...

Spoiled thing??? Now, Mister Ed, tell me truthfully -- if you were treated so wonderfully by your family, would you think of yourself as spoiled or honored? I was truly honored and awed by such loving care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Di! A belated "Happy Mother's Day" to you too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely Mother's Day--lucky you! I was given a Mother's day treat by Chris and Justin on Saturday--Justin cooked Jambalya--himself!! It was very good (fortunately he didn't make it too hot like my Forest Gump Restaurant chicken). I have discovered, however, that I need to stay away from the cajun seasonings. The flower pics Sherry sent were beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love your post. Thanks for posting it. I love all those beautiful pictures! I would love to have time sometime there with you. If I could figure it out I would. But Wal-mart calls at the moment. One of these times, I'm not gonna care, I will just tell them I am doing it, and if they don't like it, there are plenty more jobs in the sea. At least it sounds good to say. Not too sure in reality.