The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

When God Made Woman

By the time the Lord made a woman, He was nearly through His sixth day of working on creation. An angel appeared and said, "Why are You spending so much time on this one?

The Lord answered, "Have you seen the spec sheet on her? She has to be completely washable, but not plastic; have 200 movable parts, all replaceable; run on black coffee and leftovers; have a lap that can hold three children at one time, but disappears when she stands up; have a kiss that can cure anything from a scraped knee to a broken heart; and have six pairs of hands."

The angel was astounded at the requirements for this one, and replied, "No way!" The Lord said, "Oh, it's not the hands that are such a big deal -- it's the three pairs of eyes that mothers must have!" "And, that's just on the standard model?", the angel asked. The Lord nodded in agreement and stated, "Yup, one pair of eyes are to see through the closed door as she asks her children what they are doing, even though she already knows; another pair in the back of her head are to see what she needs to know, even though no one thinks she can. The third pair are for looking at an errant child and communicating that she understands and loves him or her, without even saying a single word."

The angel said, "This is just too much work for one day! Wait until tomorrow to finish making the woman." "But, I can't", the Lord protested. "I am so close to being done! She already heals herself when she is sick, and she can feed a family of six on a pound of hamburger, and she can get a nine-year old to stand in the shower."

The angel moved closer and touched the woman. "But, You have made her so soft, Lord. Will she hold up under stress?" "Yes, she is very soft", the Lord agreed, "but, I have also made her quite tough. You have no idea what she can endure or accomplish!"

"Will she be able to think?", asked the angel. The Lord replied, "Not only will she be able to think, she will be able to reason and negotiate!"

The angel then noticed something that appeared to be a flaw, and reached out to touch it. "Oops, it looks like You have a leak here. I told You that You were trying to put too much into this one." "That's not a leak", the Lord objected -- "That's a teardrop." The Lord went on to explain, "The tears will be her way of expressing joy, sorrow, disappointment, pain, loneliness, grief, and pride in her children."

"Lord", the angel said, You are truly a genius! You have thought of everything it will take for a woman to survive motherhood!"

4 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Awesome! I first heard this on a Christian radio program a few years ago. I got a copy and sent it to my Mom. That reminds me, I better go phone her. She'll be 88 this year.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Awsome post Jeannie. Thanks' for posting it for all us bloggies.

Love you

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful reminder of a mother. I think I will print it out for Chris.

Eagle-eye Di said...

This is really funny.You know I had just placed a comment on one of Colleen's recent posts and told of spending quite some time this morning typing out a Mother's Day Poem with a lengthy comment a page long after it and told her of me accidentally touching one wrong button and poof it was gone.I told her of how frustrating and discouraging it is to have this happen.I told Dan afterwards that I had decided there must have been a reason why it had happened and that maybe it wasn't meant to be my post.Guess what Sis? You have used the same poem I had diligently spent time on.I really enjoy this poem and am glad you posted it.Now I understand God had his hand in it all along.Love ya.