The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, May 8, 2006

It's Not About Me . . . (Is it about you?)

This has been a recurrent theme in my life lately. I keep trying to push the thought away, but it keeps getting said by someone (either in conversation or in something I read), that, "It's not about you, it's about them!" (Who's "them"?)

It's supposed to be all about others, I guess! But, is it ever about me?
I guess it's only about me when I am included in the "them" category in someone else's life. Does this mean that I only matter when I'm an-other? Should anything about "me" matter to me, or should it always be "all about them"?

When it comes to blogging, it's usually all about me. That's what blogging is, right? It's a journal of my thoughts and my feelings, a report of my activities and my plans. But, it's also about you too, isn't it? Isn't that evidenced by the fact that it includes an invitation for your comments, which means I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts and feelings?
But, of course, that's also about my own desire and need to receive feedback--to hear your thoughts and feelings in response to what I say. It's about my desire and need to have two-way communication with others--to have a frequent connection with you. (But, isn't that also about you?)

When I call others on the phone, just to chat, is it about me or about them? Was my phone call prompted by my concern for another's need to receive some attention from someone? Or, was it really prompted by my own need for relationship and fellowship?

When I'm giving thought to someone else, were my thoughts prompted by genuine concern for that person's needs, and because I'm wondering what's going on in that person's life? Have I truly given any consideration to whether that person is feeling a little neglected by me? Or, were my thoughts really prompted by my own need for attention--perhaps because I'm feeling neglected by the other person?

So, bottom line . . . is it really about others or is it really about me . . . or should it actually be about us? The more I think on this subject, the more difficult it becomes to sort it out! I'll let ya know when I get it all figured out.

On second thought, it might not be about me getting it all figured out -- it might be about hearing your thoughts on this subject. So, when you get it all figured out, would you let me know?

My guess is that the answer lies somewhere in mutuality. The Bible says, "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:4) That seems to indicate to me that it isn't wrong to look out for my own interests and concerns, but it is also a reminder to look out for the interests and concerns of others as well.

8 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

So Confusing!!

No, it's not about "me"

It's about "you"

You and I are "both" (me) (you)

In fact, "me" and "you" are THEM

We are both "THEM"

If I am concerned about "YOU", and you are concerned about "YOU", then we are both covered. Does that make sense?? Them - equals you and me.

So confusing!! But hold on!!

I know where I'm going, (I think)

It may just take me a bit to get it sorted out (hee hee)

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Stay tuned for more "Confusing" input from "Me"

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! You have me falling right out of my chair, laughing!

Guess what? You weren't the only one who felt the sudden need to call me today because of this confusing post! You and Sandy both showed your concern for my well-being!

Anonymous said...

Dear Readers,
Please rest assured I am feeling just fine! I must admit, this post has caused some confusion and some laughter today. I'm sorry for the confusion -- No, I am not feeling emotionally down at all! But, as a result of the confusion, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the laughter this has brought into my life today! Thanks for the fun!

Anonymous said...

At work I call that stirring the pot. Sometimes you do or say something, intentional or otherwise, that gets people thinking and draws their thoughts out.
By the way - is it all about you or them or us or who?

Mister Ed T said...

Its all about God working in and through us.

Eagle-eye Di said...

Your statement reminded me of a book I have written by Max Lucado called It's Not about Me.Go figure.You know blogging is all about communication between us and others.I would rather post pictures of family and talk about them and what is happening with them then talk about myself.In several of my devotionals lately they have talked about putting yourself aside and look at what the other person's needs are.God wants us to look at ourselves and question whether or not we are living a life pleasing to him.When the Holy Spirit leads by putting someone into your mind,connecting with them is important.You may be just what that person needs by connecting with them.Blogging in my mind is sharing myself and my family with the rest of you.Comments are an invite for others to respond or not to respond with you as they feel lead by the Holy Spirit.I know when there is a long break in between its normally not about you its that they aren't being able to respond for awhile.It can come about by the Lord putting a barrier in the works for awhile.Patience is the key.I don't want my blogging to be about me,I would rather it was about others.Tribulation produces patience so maybe the breaks now and then should help with producing patience from all of us.I like Colleen's statement that she feels it should be called a letter.Letters of Communication.

Eagle-eye Di said...

Oops I didn't write the book.Max Lucado wrote the book.Sorry about that.