The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Happy Birthday to My Firstborn

Today I'm taking a trip down memory lane--back to the day of Sherry's birth. How can it be that so many years have passed since that very tough, yet very exciting day in my life? I was only 20 years old when I became the mother of this little
6-1/2 pound bundle of joy. Yes, she truly was a bundle of joy! (Perhaps I have forgotten how tough those early days of motherhood were.)

I remember her enthusiastic little voice informing anyone she chose to talk to (total strangers were her favorite object of conversational opportunity): "My name is Sherry Dorris Ann." Perhaps she was trying to overcome her nickname, Bunky (decided by her adoring daddy). She was "Bunky" to everyone except me. I wanted her to be "Sherry", and I finally insisted that her daddy quit calling her Bunky, so she would become known by a real name. He complied with my request, but somehow he didn't get the whole message (that I wanted her to be called Sherry), so he began calling her "Suzie-Q" (sometimes "Suzie-Quzie", or shortened to "Sue-Q" or just "Suzie").

Looking back at my blog post on Sherry's birthday last year, I still smile as I read it. It's what I still feel today, and it simply can't be improved upon. (Click here to read it.) She's still a great source of pride and joy to me! Happy Birthday, Sherry! You are beautiful!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.S. Click on the word "Firstborn" in the title of this post to see the full picture of my firstborn with her firstborn.

3 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Happy Birthday to a very special girl! I am a very proud "Auntie". Yep Jeannie, you had your hands full with a brand new marriage and a brand new baby on the way. Wow! But it was all worth it when you laid eyes on that special little creation of God's, into your's and Larry's lives.

Yes, I did click back and re view your other post. Thank's for connecting the two.

Happy Birthday Sherry!!

strider1971 said...

I am excited to be able to read about this. haven't gone back to read the original post from last year. happy to my awesome cousin who has inspired me in many ways. by the way Aunt Jeanie I need your help please call me and I will give you details nothing urgent just need help. blog related but that is all I can say at the moment.

Eagle-eye Di said...

Happy Birthday to you,Happy Birthday to you,Happy Birthday God bless you,Happy Birthday to you.And many many more>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our First Borns are very special to us.We began our parenting with no special training.Holding them in our arms with a special love the Lord has given us.It was all new and lots of trial and error was put into us being new mom's and dad's.You know its a big merry go round that evolves.Things our Mom and Dad did with us that may not have been the best I know they probably prayed we would forgive them for one day down the road.Now we are put into that place of also praying that our kids will forgive us for things we did that weren't the best.Our Grandkids are presently in the situation that Lord willing they will eventually be able to forgive their Moms and Dads for doing that might not have been the best.The merry go round goes in circles constantly evolving with good times and not so good times.Kids are the spice of life.Alittle salt mybe,Alittle pepper?Maybe even alittle garlic added.Kids represent alot of different spices.Personalities vary with each individual.Lots of love to all.One more time,Happy Birthday,Sherry!!