This morning as I was reading the Bible, I took notice of both of these words: "happiness" and "joy." I've always heard it said that "Happiness depends on our outward circumstances, but joy comes from deep within ourselves, especially related to the spiritual condition of our heart--our relationship with God.
So, I wasn't surprised to read this (in Habakkuk 3:17): "Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign Lord is my strength!"
But, I was very surprised to read this (in Psalm 119:35): "Make me walk along the path of Your commands, for that is where my happiness is found." My heart responded, "YES! That is where my happiness is found -- it's found in walking along the path God has chosen for me -- the path of following His commands -- His ways and His will for my life!"
How much clearer can it get than this? For those who claim to love the Lord, and claim to be His children, and claim to be His followers -- our happiness lies in walking with God -- along the path of His commands! Now I see clearly that happiness and joy do go hand-in-hand!
Life may not always be fun, but when my heart is right with God, and my ways please Him, He will provide a jug of joyfulness and a heaping helping of happiness!
The LORD is my strength…I trust in him with all my heart…He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy." "He renews my strength; He guides me along right paths…" (Psalm 28:7 & 23:3 New Living Translation)
2 comments:
good thoughts
I'm here Jeannie. I just haven't taken the time to comment yet. Thank's for your post. It is very good, as all of your's are. Your' very right in what you say.
Post a Comment