For just an instant I felt the tiniest bit of panic, which quickly brought on a hot flash, as I realized, Oh great--I'm stuck outside on this deck until Larry gets home. (Since our house is built on the side of a hill, the main-floor deck is actually at second-story level from the ground behind our house, and there is no staircase down to the ground.) As the hot flash subsided, I quickly realized I was starting to feel a bit chilly, being outside in a sleeveless shirt on a cool, gray, rainy day. I also began to feel a bit embarrassed as I imagined myself having to holler "Help!" to anyone who might happen to hear me and come running to find out what was wrong. Trying to regain my calm and collected sense of control in a tough situation, I sat down in a chair, looked at my watch, and thought, Well, maybe Larry is getting close to time to leave work. (It was 5:15.) Fortunately, I had my cell phone, so I called him to ask, "Where are you, and when are you coming home?" I was happy to hear that he was already on his way home.
When I explained to him the predicament I was in, he said, "Oh, you went outside from the office, forgetting that door stays locked when you open and close it." (There are two doors out to our deck--one in the family room and one in the office. However, the door in the office also has a storm door, so I never close the inside door when I step outside from the office.) Instantly, the light bulb went on in my head! I had been trying to get back inside through the sliding glass door in the family room, forgetting that I went outside from the office! The office door (which I didn't close behind me) is the open door!! I quickly said goodbye, and went back inside to the warmth of my home, scolding myself...
Oh, Jeannie! How can you be such a goof-ball?

Now I know why Glynna is interesting in having me help with Women's Ministries. Every fun ministry team needs at least one goof-ball to keep us from taking ourselves too seriously! Sometimes ya just gotta laugh at yourself! (But, I still can't believe I did that!)
7 comments:
What a hoot! Actually to stay warm you can easily keep having another hot flash start up without hardly any problem.The trick is to keep the hotflashs at such a degree that you won't end up wringing wet and need to get a shower in the process.I know,you could do an indian rain dance if needed.You goof ball! This was pretty cute to read about.Love ya.
If all else fails, panic! We all do these goofy things. It's great to be able to laugh at ourselves about it! Thanks for letting us in on your "fun!"
Panic? Hummmmm?? Sure!!
I think that is what I would do.
Then I would want to strip my clothes off, cause I would be sweltering with my hot flashes.
Yep! Then I would take advantage of the situation, and proceed to get a nice suntan.
Wow!! What a great way to take advantage of the situation.
Of course, "If" there were any peeping toms close by, I would just snuggle closer to the floor boards.
What a Wascally Wabbit some of us can be! (hee hee)
How I love your transparency! I agree that we all have such moments if we live long enough.
Louis has a suggestion for you & Larry. We know others who like you have a second story deck without srairs. For a fire escape or wierd situation like you thought you were in, they have a rope ladder on their deck that they can let down to the ground in an emergency.
Hey, that's a great suggestion! Thanks!
Post a Comment