Today marks thirty-seven years since the night I said, "Oh no!" to my boyfriend, and then he said, "Does this mean you don't want to marry me?"My strange response was due to being in shock at his totally unexpected proposal. I could hardly believe this was really happening, since there had been no previous hint of it before he handed me a little box with a diamond ring inside (just my size even).
He had acted really strange the night before, and I had thought for sure he had lost interest in me, and was about to break up with me. I cried myself to sleep that night, and was a tearful wreck all day long, at work and even upon my return home. I was simply a basket case with fear that he was no longer in love with me.
Then my mother told me sternly, "You better get yourself back together, just in case Larry calls. Now, go wash your face and calm down."
Well, sure enough . . . the phone rang, and it was Larry, asking if I wanted to go out. "Hmmm.....just what I thought -- he's coming over to break up with me in person, rather than on the phone!"
Looking back on all of that, I wonder why I didn't suspect a different outcome. Why didn't I wonder about my mom suggesting that Larry might call or come over that night? Why didn't that seem strange to me that she seemed to know? I dunno!
On Monday night (the night before), Larry had spent the evening at my house...sort of..., but not really with me. He spent his time with my dad, supposedly taking a look at a a piece of stereo equipment that wasn't working properly. (Larry's current job was working as a salesman in a store that sold pianos, TV's, stereos, etc.) I didn't think anything of Larry spending some time with Dad for that reason. I was glad he was interested in helping my dad with something, and I was waiting patiently for his attention. However, I began to wonder what was taking so long, and went looking for them. When I couldn't find them inside or outside, I asked Mom where they were. She said, "I think they went to get a cup of coffee." Assuming that Larry had really come over to see me, I said rather indignately, "Well, I could have made coffee for them!" I felt really disgusted that he was giving all of his attention to my dad, and spending no time at all with me! By the time Dad and Larry came back home, it was late. Larry sat down with me on the couch for only a very short time before saying, "Well, I better get going -- it's late." ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
I was so disappointed (crushed actually), and cried myself to sleep that night (if I slept at all), thinking for sure it must be over between us!
On Tuesday night, he took me out to supper, at a popular coffee shop--one of our usual hang-outs. (I wonder if he noticed how awful I looked with my red, swollen eyes.) Everything seemed normal between us, but I kept waiting for him to let me know that he had decided to break up with me. We drove around a bit after supper, making small talk, but still no hint of a break-up. Then, as was our usual routine, we parked in my driveway to sit and talk for a bit. That's when he pulled out the little box and handed it to me--without saying a word. I was absolutely shocked! And, that's when I said, "Oh no!" and began to cry, because it was so completely the opposite of my expectations over the last twenty-four hours! And, the rest is history! I've been wearing that ring ever since!

5 comments:
A great story and a good lesson in jumping to conclusions. Happy 37 to both of you!
This brought alot of "memories" back, to mind. As you were telling your story, I was remembering your couple of days!
Isn't that funny how some things get lost in our "brain bank", until someone re-tells their story. I remember you being in tears, etc.
And I remember mom and her response. I must have been doin alittle of "eves dropping" (hee hee).
Happy Anniversary Jeannie and Larry!! I love you both. And I am soooooo glad things turned out like they did!
Thanks for sharing! I love to hear about such life-changing times.
I love it!! What a great story--I don't believe you ever shared that with Bill and me. You two are perfect for each other!!! Happy Engagement Anniversary--can't remember when your actual anniversary is, but Happy Anniversary too. Give our congrats to Larry too.
What a beautiful story you have.Congratulations and happy anniversary to the both of you.
Post a Comment