The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sunrise at 10,023 feet!

Following is a series of 17 large, close-sequence photos. Our panel of judges had such a tough time deciding which photos to cut, that after cutting only a few, we decided to leave the remaining 17! A word of advice: If you have a "dial-up" internet connection, you may want to walk away from your computer while the pictures are loading.

We got up at 3:00 A.M. to drive to the summit of Haleakala (an active yet not currently erupting volcano on the island of Maui). We arrived at the top of the mountain at 5:00 A.M., in total darkness, with bone-chilling temperatures and winds howling! The early morning rising, and frigid weather, were well-worth the awesome experience of watching the first rays of dawn eclipse into sunrise and then explode into full daylight! What an incredible sight, we witnessed, along with about a hundred other early bird die-hards!


Although you may not want to take the time to click on each picture to enlarge it, some of the photos, when viewed full-size, are indescribably awesome! However, even the full-size photographs can't begin to do justice to what we saw spread across the sky! To God be the glory!! "The heavens declare the glory of God."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeannie, I finally got a chance to check your blog this afternoon. WOW!!! I have enjoyed seeing the pictures--it is putting me right back on the top of that crater. I have been showing your pics to everyone here at work. I downloaded one beach scene to put for my background.

Bill and I treasure our friendship with you and Larry--and enjoy our joint vacations. We have to begin thinking about the next one.

Your fellow travelers, Bill and Sandy

Eagle-eye Di said...

It looks like you were standing at the top of the world.It had to be breath taking standing there watching the morning awaken into daylight.Its funny cause I am not a good morning person but its the best time of the morning to be in a car with coffee and dognut driving along,watching the world awaken into daylight and the people emerge into activity.

Mister Ed T said...

A taste of heaven! God shows enough of His handiwork here to make us long for there. Yet knowing Him through His Son is the most beautiful thing of all. God has blessed you with opportunities to see His beauty, both physically and spiritually, that most people never get. I rejoice with you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Ed, you're so right! That's exactly what I realized as I was singing His praises last night (at church)...I have seen His beauty! He showed it to me in Hawaii. I had never really thought about it that way before (until last night), and here's your comment this morning, confirming that thought. Thanks!

Hi, also, to Sandy and Dianne!
Yes, Sandy, we're already looking forward to our next joint vacation with you guys! We've had several together, but they just get better and better!
Yes, Dianne, we did, indeed, feel like we were standing at the top of the world! And, yes, it was one of the most breath-taking spectacles I have ever seen--"watching the morning awaken into daylight"! I'm not a " good morning person" either, but I'd gladly do that again in a heart-beat!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Awsome Photos Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Colleen! Larry was the main photographer. I snatched the camera away from him now and then.