The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Up Close and Personal

After all these years of enjoying the Gaithers -- by way of music tapes and CD's, videos, and concerts, today I finally got to talk to Gloria Gaither--up close and personal! My son invited me to attend the chapel service with him at the Bible college where he works, to hear Gloria Gaither speak.

This was a very small auditorium compared to the one where I attended Bible school, so the setting felt quite homespun for such a celebrity guest. As I was sitting there (in a seat at the aisle) waiting for Jim to arrive, Gloria walked right by me--alone, just like any ordinary person, with no one paying any attention to her! I couldn't resist such an opportunity to meet her, so I got up from my seat (just a few rows from the front) and went to talk with her. What a grand moment for me--I loved it and could hardly believe it was really happening to me!

Unfortunately, the pictures I took of her when she got up to speak, turned out lousy, but she was a very good speaker and I enjoyed it all immensely!

After chapel Jim and I went to lunch at a funky little cafe in Portland (the Hawthorne District). "Big Daddy's BBQ" -- What a fun spot, and great food! (That's Jim sitting by the bright yellow flames on the window.)








When I went to use the bathroom, I could barely stifle my laugh when I opened the door . . . the toilet sat immediately facing me--not against the wall as one would expect. How very handy to be able to just plop down immediately as one steps inside! (The close and personal feel of a toilet stall, with the convenience of a full bathroom.) Plus, there was a back door -- I guess for making a secret escape if one needs to, rather than going back out the way you came in!

This is the second unusual toilet sight I've come face-to-face with in the last two weeks! (Last week it was a close encounter with a man carrying a toilet on his shoulder at the river.) Perhaps my new hobby will be watching for funny toilet sightings.

2 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

A precious moment or two indeed! (With Gloria Gaither, not the toilet stall)

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

I would have loved to have been there with you to see and hear Gloria Gaither. Thank's Jeannie for sharing with us on your blog. I have "so many" very special songs of theirs, that I love to listen to. One of my favorites is "We Have This Moment Today". It is one of the first songs on the karoake gospel tapes, to sing.