The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Lunch Out

When it's a beautiful day outside, this is more what I have in mind when I think of eating out!

Once again taking full advantage of our beautiful spring weather, I enjoyed spending some time with a good friend, Debbie, enjoying a long, leisurely lunch in the warm sunshine. This is Island Cafe--my favorite place to eat when it's nice outside. It's a little open-air cafe on the end of a long, floating dock in a marina, on the Columbia River. It's closed in the winter, and always draws a crowd of regular customers during the season of nice weather. Every year, as winter draws to a close and spring approaches, Larry and I eagerly anticipate their reopening, and usually eat there as often as once a week, or every couple of weeks between April and October.

As I walked down the ramp to the dock, I passed a man carrying a toilet on his shoulder. Yes, a real toilet -- I kid you not! It was all I could do to suppress the giggles that were rising up in me as he came toward me.
(I was thinking how convenient that would be for those inopportune moments that I sometimes suffer through.) I almost managed to walk by him without saying a word, but at the last second I just couldn't resist.
I simply said, "Porta-potty?", and he simply replied, "Yeah, sort of."
That was that! Dontcha just love those unexpected little chuckles?

After lunch, as I was driving to do a little shopping in the area, I spotted a time/temperature sign that showed the temperature as 98 degrees (Fahrenheit). I blinked and re-read the sign as it flashed the temperature again . . . yup, it said 98 degrees! I knew it was a beautifully warm day, but I also knew it couldn't possibly be that warm outside (maybe more like 68 degrees)--must have been someone's idea of a practical joke. It was a fun reminder that summer is, indeed, on the way, but also another reminder that you can't believe everything you read!

My dear husband took me out for dinner, some place a little further away than just outside the back door (like the previous night). We went to one of other favorite places called "Beaches". It is a great little restaurant that sits right at the edge of a pretty little pond about a mile from our house. We ate outside at the water's edge, and later walked a couple of laps around the pond.

What a nice day! Fun, friendship, love, laughs, warm sunshine, delicious food, good exercise in the fresh air, good conversation -- it just doesn't get much better than this!

4 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Very Nice!! Can I come next time?

Eagle-eye Di said...

This only makes me feel like I wish I lived in your neck of the woods so that it could be me sitting there with you.Love the part of the man carrying the porta potty.What a hoot.It seems as we get older,when the urge hits,it hits.Run fast,faster then a speeding bullet without letting on to anyone else what the emergency is.Keep a smile on your face even though just on the other side of the lips is a frantic flat out stretch of the mouth that says please Lord let me get there on time.Hey I do believe you have just showed me that yes I did misspell one of the words.Thanks.

Montana Sherry C said...

Great photo of you and Debbie at Islands. I miss that little cafe! Enjoy your sunshine. We are enjoying ours, too!

Anonymous said...

Y'all can come with me anytime!