The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, February 27, 2006

True Confessions of a Quiltmaker

1. I want to do this, but I don't have time right now.
Really! I've given lots of serious thought to this project, and I'm eager to get at it, but there's always something else that demands my time and attention first. Oh, if only I could just live my life for myself, and do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it! If only I could just ignore the rest of the world! Maybe I'll get at it tomorrow.

2. I've thought about it long enough -- it's time to get at it!

In total honesty -- I've stalled long enough! Sometimes other things get in my way, but I also seem to be procrastinating the start of something that seems enormous to me -- no matter how much I think I want to do it!
  • How long will it take me to do it?
  • What if I get tired of it before it's done?
  • What about all the frustration of interruptions?
  • What if I allow myself to get so totally sucked into my project that I ignore everything and everyone else?
  • What if it turns into a much bigger or much harder project than I originally anticipated?
  • What if I fail somewhere in the middle of the project and never get it finished?
  • What if . . . (the "what-ifs" go on and on) . . .
3. Finally -- no more delay! Today's the day!
Yesterday I had good intentions, and I got off to a good start, but, once again, I let other distractions get in the way of making much progress. When will this familiar cycle of "start and stop" change? It's this way in all of my life, it seems! Feast or famine -- too much or too little -- one step forward, two steps back -- rethink, regroup, come up with a new plan -- gain new determination only to lose it again! C'mon, Jeannie -- you can do this! Focus! Don't get side-tracked by the enormity of the project before you. Don't lose sight of your goal!

4. The project is now well-underway -- there's no stopping me now!

It's been going very well! I'm making such great progress--much better than I expected! I guess I finally have this project thing mastered now! Just look how good it all looks! I do really good work! In fact, I can actually consider myself an artist -- yup, this is my "claim to fame" in the world of "fine arts"! How wonderfully satisfying to be able to create a work of art--especially when the whole purpose is to give it away!

5. Wham! (flat on my face) I've hit the wall !!
  • I don't want to do this anymore!
  • I'm tired of the whole thing!
  • How much longer is this gonna take?
  • When will I ever get it finished and be able to put everything away?
  • I really need a break from the tedium of it all!
  • This part is just too hard, and I just can't figure out how to make it work!
  • I really don't know what to do next!
  • I can't even think straight anymore!
  • My fingers hurt . . . my back is tired . . . I have a headache . . .
Everything in me screamed: "I just can't do this anymore . . . I can't face another day of it!" During those times, I cried out, "Lord, what am I gonna do? I can't keep going any longer...", and that's when I heard, "Keep on keeping on, Jeannie! There is no choice here--you must finish what you started. (Remember who it's for and what the purpose is.)"
Isn't it that way in life? Life is so daily (and sometimes so hard), yet
you must keep on keeping on -- whether you feel like it or not!

When I feel like I just can't go on, I cry, "Help, Lord! I can't keep going without Your help -- there's just no other way I can get through this! Thanks, Lord!"
"In my distress I called to the Lord;
I cried to my God for help.
From His temple He heard my voice;
my cry came before Him, into His ears."
(Psalm 18:6 - a song of David)

6 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Does this mean "another quilt" is under way?? (hee hee) Will the next one "blend in" with your floor?? No wonder you are tired!

Awsome post Jeannie! Wow! Love you muchly!

Anonymous said...

Hee hee yourself, you wascally wabbit! No, this post does not mean another quilt is under way. This is simply a description of what I went through (over and over again) during the making of the quilt I just finished. Right now I don't think I could face the start of another one! (I gotta rest up from this one first.)

CML_Shearings said...

Loved this post. It's so true of all of us in the Lord's family. Thanks for being so expressive for those of us who share in your blog.

Montana Sherry C said...

Thanks, Mom, for the post, for the life lesson and for the quilt!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your comments! You're each a treasure to me, and in my prayers all the time!
I know that each one of you has your work cut out for you--to "keep on keeping on"!

Mister Ed T said...

#5 is usually the turning point. In most projects we want to give up the most just before the point of success and we are on the down hill run to the finish line. Applies to our Christian walk too.

Now rest and enjoy.