The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Chilly Day - Warm Home

I'm thinkin' it's time to go back to Hawaii, or at least have that beach party I described a while back.

Today we've had what the weather man called an "arctic blast". The temperature never got above freezing (actually stayed well below freezing) all day long! The bird bath never thawed out, for Pete's sake! I stayed tucked inside all day long, except for first thing this morning when I went out to refill bird feeders.
I sat down in my favorite chair to have my morning "quiet time" and noticed the poor birds scratching in the dirt to find something to eat because their two favorite feeders were empty! So, I quickly donned warm clothing and braved the early morning frigid air to go take care of my birds! (They immediately let me know how much they appreciated my kindness.) Then I spent the rest of my day quilting. Perhaps I'll show you a picture of it one of these days.

We are now settling into the rest of the evening -- the start of a long holiday weekend. Our son is gone to San Diego to visit his girlfriend, so we find ourselves all alone in a quiet house . . . hmmmmm . . .
The pizza will be delivered soon and Larry should be back from the video store any minute. Oh, I think I heard the garage door just go up!
Gotta go now...time for fun...bye!

5 comments:

SUZIE Q said...

Sounds like an evening to enjoy. I spent all day yesterday (Thursday) working (12 hours) in the cold (-39 C with the windchill). All I could think at lunch time was how I wanted to go home. I prayed, please keep me warm! I was cozy in my quilted coveralls for the rest of that day and am now enjoying a 4 day weekend off! Thanking God for all these blessings

Love you Aunty

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzie! Larry laughed when he read my post because he knew that most of my readers live in a much colder climate than we do, and would most likely scoff at our "arctic blast"! So, we got quite a kick out of your comment coming in so quickly, letting us know about the real cold that others endure! Yes, it was an enjoyable evening last night! Thanks for your little visit in my blog! Love you too, Suzie Q!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Yep Suzie, you "earned" your name "Little Eskimo". You were just a itty bitty papoose those first couple winters in Uranium City when we hit minus 60 below C a few different times. And the whole winter averaged minus 45 below C

Mister Ed T said...

We had that "Artic blast" too! But it only lasted a couple of days in an otherwise extraordinarily mild winter for us. It poped above freeezing yesterday. I noticed on the weather map that the jet-stream swerved way south and even cut back around your area before heading on east as it is supposed to. The jet stream, even though it is high altitude, acts like a fence between the warm south and the cold north. Don't ask me why. So don't blame the arctic blast on us, blame it on the jet stream! Hope you are enjoying your cosy weekend. We have "Family Day" today. It is a fairly new holiday that is unique to Alberta. So we are taking it easy after a busy weekend so far. (See my blog for some of it!)

Anonymous said...

I am always amused by the term 'morning quiet times'.
I grew up with that, it was a past of being a Christian.
You did it first thing in the morning, an dthat wqs that.
I am not dissing your quiet time by the way!
I am just thinking.
There were times in my life when I got up early and spnt hours withthe Lord - that is until one day I was lying on the floor with my face before HIM and I felt a presence.....I turned my head, and it was a mouse!
I did not lie face down and seek God again....He would have to break into my world!
Now I have my times wih the Lord when He nudges me, and then he has my whole attention.
I am not against the good thing of training or the habit of an early morning seeking of God at all....it is just that I don't want the mice and I enjy the freedom of walking with God in a different way!