The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Of Dreams and Pets (and Husbands)

The night was a blur of wearying, senseless dreams, all blending into each other in mysterious ways, broken only by occasional hot flashes which produced instant wakefulness. One of those wake-ups was actually a most welcome interruption of a dream which threatened to undo the harmony of my marriage. Poor Larry! In reality he was innocent of any misconduct, but in my dreams he is frequently portrayed in a very negative light! Recently it has come to my attention that the "evil one" uses such avenues of attack to harm marriages and families, hoping to destroy all that God planned to be good for us. That thought came to me instantly as I awoke from the dream, so I got up from my bed and rebuked the devil, in Jesus' name! Then I was able to fall back asleep, thinking kind and loving thoughts toward my husband.

The day dawned bright and beautiful! As I lay in my bed enjoying the stillness of the early morning, the quietude was broken by the mewing of my cat. She obviously saw no good reason for us to stay in bed any longer, and was not about to be ignored! Feeling sorry for my little furry friend, I got up to feed her, careful not to disturb my husband who didn't appear ready to leave his warm, comfy bed just yet. As I tip-toed down the hall, heading for the kitchen, I looked back, expecting to see my cat following me, but no...she had stopped mid-way down the hall and was laying there on the floor half-way between me and her beloved "daddy" in the bedroom. Clearly, she had intended to rouse both of us, and wasn't satisfied to have the attention of only one of us!

Now my day is underway, and, once again, all is quiet on the home-front. My husband has gone off to the Saturday morning men's Bible study at church, and my son left for a motorcycle ride, unable to resist the promise of another beautiful, spring-like day. Pretzel is lying on top of the couch in the living room, keeping a watchful eye on the birds flitting and fluttering around the feeders hanging just beyond the confines of the window. Ahhhh, the peacefulness of a quiet morning when all is well! The sun is shining brightly and the temperature is quite mild. The sky is blue with lightly scattered clouds, and most of the high winds of yesterday have calmed down. A beautiful day stretches out before me, with the excitement of somewhat unknown plans for this evening.

Earlier in the week, a surprise was cooked up by my husband and my friend, Debbie's husband. It all began with an early morning wake-up call (6:45 A.M.) from Bennie to Larry. (Debbie knew nothing about it until I mentioned it to her on Tuesday.) So, now we've had several days to eagerly anticipate our husbands' fun little "surprise", and tonight's the night!

Husbands can be wonderful friends--no matter what they do in dreams, and no matter how they may mess up even in reality! I mess up sometimes too! Fortunately, I have a very patient, very loving husband, who always cuts me slack and continues to love me no matter what!

No comments: