As I drove to Roberta's house this morning I was thinking about today being the day before Valentines Day, but the thought that stuck in my head was, "the day before...". It's a very short drive (takes all of about two minutes), so I didn't have long to process that thought, but I knew it would need to be written out later. This is the "later" moment.
The day before what? Today is always the day before something, but how often do we contemplate that? Oh, sure, I know the Bible says not to be anxious about tomorrow because sufficient unto today are the troubles thereof, and, therefore, we are not to "borrow troubles" from tomorrow. Okay, okay...I get that, but what about wise thought -- not worrying about it, but simply giving careful consideration to tomorrow?
(I would be interested in hearing your viewpoint on this.)
In my time with Roberta this morning, I sensed that God was telling me: "It's time to turn your attention away from the past (however God has used me in His service), and look forward to whatever's next" (in my service for Him). In other words: Today is not necessarily part of yesterday -- it is simply the day before tomorrow. Whatever He chooses for me to do (today or tomorrow) -- whatever is in His plan will be good. It doesn't have to be like "yesterday" to be good! I will follow His leading today, and again tomorrow. Tomorrow may have nothing to do with "yesterday". Today is simply the day before tomorrow. I can only prepare for tomorrow by being in step with God's plan for today!
Lord, all my tomorows belong to You -- as do my todays. All of my days have been "ordained" by You--long before any of them came to be. I know You have my todays and my tomorrows in Your hand. Help me to keep my eyes on You today, as I choose to trust You for my tomorrows. Do in me today whatever needs to be done in my life to prepare me for tomorrow, and use me in the way that You desire -- today and tomorrow!
2 comments:
The Day Before Tomorrow! That's a good way to look at it. I've been looking back (probably too much) and I'm missing preaching. It's been 8 months since I last filled a pulpit and I miss that kind of ministry. In many ways I feel like God has put me on the shelf (or benched me--to use a sports analogy). I wonder why. God has assured me that its not because of sin. So for today, the day before tomorrow (whatever that may bring), God is motivating me to spend more of my time in intercession. Thanks Jeannie. I think I need to look toeard tomorrow a little more.
Ed, I wasn't thinking about your situation when I wrote this post, but when Larry read it he said, "This will probably be good for Ed to read." I'm glad to know that God used it for your encouragement.
Post a Comment