The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Sunday, February 5, 2006

Oh, the things you'll see...

when you're a bird-watcher like me!
As I stood at my dining room window, watching the birds enjoy the food I had just put out for them, I noticed a Blue Jay taking a bath. Obviously the winter temperatures meant nothing to this fine-feathered little creature! He (she?) was sitting smack dab in the middle of the bird bath (just below the bird feeders hanging in the tree beside it), splishing and splashing to his (or her) heart's content, as if it hadn't had a bath for far too long! Then I noticed Murphy -- the neighbor's cat (black with white "boots") coming down his driveway, as though heading for our yard, and I thought, "Oh, no! He's going to come over and bother my birds!" But, no, at the end of his driveway, Murphy turned right and went up the road, disappearing from view.

Back to watching the Blue Jay, who continued to enjoy his bath, oblivious to the dangererous feline who came so close to disturbing his bath . . . . Suddenly, I saw a flash of something furry running by, down the little drive beside my house. Quickly moving to the next window, I saw a cute little dog -- running for its life! Moving back again to the other window, I saw the reason this cute little dog was running -- it was being chased by Murphy! Too funny! But, just as I started to turn my attention back to the Blue Jay in the bird bath, it flew away -- scared off by the young girl who was running down the drive, chasing after the dog, who was being chased by the cat (who was bigger than the dog)!! Absolutely hilarious!!!

Then, as soon as the Blue Jay flew away, another Jay (who had been sitting in the tree branches just above the bird bath, patiently awaiting it's turn for a bath) happily moved down into the bowl and began splashing contentedly, totally unruffled by all that had just happened to chase the other Blue Jay away! I stood there and laughed out loud! (Laughter is good for the soul, right?) Oh, the funny things you see when you stop to watch the birds!

2 comments:

Eagle-eye Di said...

You put a smile on my face as I read your post.I could just see you racing from window to window all the while waiting to see if you might have to run out and rescue a critter from certain disaster.It looks like all went well at least this time.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

What a cute post! Thank's Jeannie I would have loved to have been there to watch it with you. I remember watching such funny little things happening just outside mom and dads' dining room table too.