The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Learning to Lean

We all go through various stages of life -- some stages more difficult than others. Being okay with moving on into the next stage is mentally and emotionally healthy. Today I'm realizing how freeing it is to let go of the past, and leave the future in God's hands.

It doesn't seem to me that I've put down any real roots here in Oregon. It feels more like I'm just here for a temporary, unknown period of time. Then what? I have no idea what's next, but I'm learning to lean on God for today -- for contentment in where I am today.

I'm learning contentment by learning to lean into the opportunities that God sends my way, instead of fretting about the why or why not of opportunities that don't come my way. It's finally starting to sink in that I'm in a transition period of my life, and that's okay. During last weekend I was a bit frustrated by it all, but on Monday God gave me peace about it. At least for now, my heart seems to be at rest.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5,6)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar thoughts about our situation right now. It may stay like this till retirement or change in an istant (or two). I think, as we get (a little) older we begin to see this life as more temporaty and Heaven as our real home.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Yep! We do "lots" of leaning. I actually still feel like we are only "camping" yet, in this new home of ours. For some reason I don't really "feel" settled down yet. Maybe that's a good thing! We definately live "one day at a time". And leave the past and the future in "His Hands". Oops! I guess we also leave "the now" in His Hands. Right! Love you