The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Quiltin' or Bloggin'

Who has time to blog when you have a quilt to make? Every day I think, "I'm almost done...just one more day oughta do it!" But, then, everyday I find that I'm still more than one day away from being done!

This morning as I was fixing my breakfast I saw a gorgeous, huge rainbow out my west-facing windows -- incredible! I've lived in this house for one year, two and a half months, and this was the first time I've seen a rainbow out to the west. It was beautiful! (no picture--sorry) What a great way to start my day!

Then, with coffee, toast, and banana in hand, I went to my blue chair in the living room and sat down to have my daily "quiet time". (Yes, Rebecca, this is my daily routine.) As I sat down, I thought about this daily routine, and why I do it.

It's so much more than a legalistic, Christian duty! I do this because it is my privilege and my desire! It is my own special time spent totally focused on Jesus--the One who is my most-important, most-favored, most-treasured FRIEND! He is the One I live my life for! He is the One I totally depend on for my daily strength and joy! Without this time spent with Him (totally focused on Him), I suffer and weaken in my faith!

If this was some legalistic requirement of the Christian life, I would shun it (and did for years)! But, it's so necessary for me--for my constantly growing and changing relationship with Jesus. It's when I eagerly grab the opportunity to spend quality time with my very best friend! (Who wouldn't jump at the chance to do that?) This is when I read His "letter" to me. There's a lot He wants me to know, so He arranged for someone to write it out for me. (How else will I know what He wants me to know if I don't read it?) It's like eagerly coming to the computer to read emails from good friends, and finding sweet companionship even through the written word.

Yes, I will continue to do this -- not simply as a Christian tradition or requirement in the Christian life, but as a chosen way to spend my time -- first thing in my day, before there are other distractions and demands on my time that keep me from my most favorite thing to do! I learned several years ago that this is only gain for me -- I need it and I enjoy it very much! It's the sweetest part of my day!

Now, back to quiltin'!

4 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

You are so rignt on! Being out of the pastorate now I find my time with Jesus more of a struggle because I have to watch the clock and head of to work in time to not be (very) late. Now some of those percious times come at different times of the day, like when I wake up at 4:00 or 5:00 (yes A.M.) and can't get back to sleep. Nothing is more percious than resting in the arms of Jesus!

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful, all the different ways that Christ followers can relate to Jesus. He is so big and so vast that He has room in His heart for all of our different ways.....that is something that I find delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments, Ed and Rebecca! Stuff like this is good to give careful thought to, and I'm glad for the opportunity.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

"Bible Reading" The first thing to get neglected when you are busy doing everything else. But one of the "first" things that you should be doing "always". Don't ask me for a record of how well I hold this in reality. I would be sad to admit it.