The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Wake-up Call

It's amazing how much better one can feel after a really good night's sleep! I'm one of those many women who usually sleep very poorly, but last night I had the best night's sleep I've had in a very long time. I slept all night long without waking up even once, as far as I can remember, and I actually felt ready to get out of bed this morning! Boy, that feels good when that happens! Now I've enjoyed coffee and toast, and some "quiet time" with the Lord, and I'm ready to start my day.

Yesterday morning wasn't quite like that. Our weekend had been exceptionally busy, with almost non-stop activity--fun activities and wonderful times with two different sets of friends, but nevertheless an exhausting run on the treadmill of life! We finally fell into bed Sunday night sometime after 12:30 (A.M.), after making a trip to the airport to pick up our son from his trip to San Diego. Then, after a very fitful night's sleep, I finally gave up on trying to sleep in a bit, and dragged myself out of bed to start a new day. Mechanically, I headed for the kitchen and made coffee, hoping to clear my foggy brain and jump-start my nearly-dead battery.

In my sleep-deprived state of weariness and half-hearted interest in being awake, I must have suffered another attack of mental-pause as I made coffee. I poured water into the coffee maker and touched the "on" button and then walked away to do a few things while I waited for my desperately-needed shot of caffeine. When it was ready, I eagerly poured myself a cup and headed for the living room to have my "quiet time". After getting all settled in with Bible, devotional book, afghan, plate of toast and cup of coffee, I prayed and then quickly swallowed my first sip of fresh-brewed "wake-me-up".

"Hmmmm," I thought, "it just doesn't taste quite like I expected." Then the light dawned... "I don't remember opening the bag of coffee --uh-oh-- I used yesterday's coffee grounds, and only added fresh water!" Needless to say, not only was the first sip rather disappointing, there wasn't much "wake-me-up" in the cup! The pot of "fresh-brewed" coffee was absolutely worthless! So, I set aside all my provisions, unwrapped myself from my cozy blanket, and plodded back to the kitchen to dump it out and make a fresh pot!

As I stood there pouring out what appeared to be fresh coffee, the thought occurred to me that our lives can become like that worthless coffee. We can appear to be fresh and new, putting on a smiling face and saying all the right things, but inside we can be like tasteless, stale, reused coffee grounds! Unless God does His work in me each day--unless He adds newness and freshness to my heart, there will be no real vibrancy. Without His daily replenishment of "fresh grounds" to bring refreshment to my soul, there will be nothing to perk up excitement in my life, and there will be nothing to stimulate others in their stale and stagnate weariness with life.

My desire is that I will experience God's daily wake-up call to a fresh-brewed life!

5 comments:

Montana Sherry C said...

Great analogy, Mom!

Mister Ed T said...

The Lord's mercies are new every morning! He adds grace upon grace.
"Just a closer walk with thee, grant it Jesus is my plea."

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Glad you got such a good nite sleep finally Jeannie. Thank's for your great post. Did you make yourself a "new" pot of coffee? One with new grounds in it? hee hee. Mental Pause - Funny!

Anonymous said...

This past week we enjoyed the company of Doug's daughter, Sarah (6 1/2). What fun we had--how busy we were!!! And now, after taking her half way for Doug to meet us yesterday, how "tired" we are! Mainly, though, we are lonesome for that sweet little body here in our home. Because Sarah was here, my work schedule has been sporadic. I just read your blog posts. All interesting!! I still think you should write a book. You have such a way of expressing things in a way that is interesting and fun. Just think, you could copy all your blogs, edit them some, and already be on your way to completion.

Eagle-eye Di said...

We got home 12:30am Sunday morning.I am also one of them women who don't sleep well at night.I understand the problem.It sounds like you were quite busy for awhile.Love ya.I came back to a little one who tuesday was throwing up all day.She was cuddled up with me all night tuesday evening.As I got one set of bedding out of the dryer another set went in.Fun,Fun,Fun.Oh the joys of little people again.