Well, it looks like it's time for a loyal and loving wife to come to the rescue of her dear husband's honor!
As a result of my last post, he was accused of being "old". Well, I suppose that's true if you consider 57 to be old. Wow! Since I'm only one year behind him in age, I wonder if I'm old too. Well, no matter -- "You're only as old as you feel", right? Believe me when I tell you, he certainly doesn't feel old, nor does he act old, and, I love the way he looks!
A comment referred to him as an old person, first, by way of appearance (his attire), in contrast with the more youthful look of my son's "knock-about" attire. Aw 'cmon now--that's the way this businessman dresses for work in the morning, and, fortunately, that's the way he looks when he returns. I mean, really! If he came home in different clothes than he went to work in, I'd be a tad concerned, or at least confused! Give the poor guy a break! That work-worn man has a nightly habit of immediately sitting down on the couch to unwind from the stress of his day in his pressure-packed job. At my encouragement, he picks up the laptop and checks his email while I finish getting dinner ready. Last night there was no benefit gained by that little moment of rest, for he was greeted by a black screen with a very strange message that indicated something was very wrong with the laptop! Not only could he not sign in to check his email, he couldn't get rid of the strange message on the black screen, nor could he reboot! For the next half hour or so, Larry and Jim brain-stormed and attempted recovery, without success. Jim finally admitted his diagnosis: "Yup, it's broken!" So, immediately following dinner (without changing his clothes first), Larry returned to the couch to spend the rest of the evening working on restoration of the laptop. (Even after undergoing an extreme make-over, it's still not back to its old self.)
Secondly, said comment also made mention of the fact that he was using an "old peoples tray with the beanie bags underneath to put the computer on". Now, this is just too funny! That clever little item was made way ahead of its time! First of all, yes, it is old -- it originally belonged to Larry's mother, who died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 93! (I considered putting it in a garage sale, but then I discovered what a handy little thing it is.) I wonder how many people, besides us, still have them around because they have found some great uses for them. Besides occupying space on a shelf in the closet for these last two years, we discovered that it serves well as a heat shield between one's legs and the computer (not to mention the comfort factor). Larry quite often has the laptop sitting on his legs all evening, and by bedtime he is sweating from the heat that emanates from the laptop. (I would love to hear your solutions for this problem.)
On a sidenote: When Larry and I went out for a walk late in the evening (in the dark), I offered the "old peoples tray" to our son to use, since it would be sitting idle while we were gone. Being a "young person" (not yet quite as wizened up in years of experience as we "old people" are, and perhaps still a little more vain in his desire to appear youthful--in his 30's), he agreed that it was probably a good idea, but he just didn't feel the need to use it. (Maybe by the time he is as old as we are, they will have figured out how to have a built-in heat shield in these machines--if indeed laptops still exist by then.)
Just as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", age is only a mindset -- "You're only as old as you feel." So there ya have it: "Too soon old, and too late smart!" I'm not sure what any of those old cliches have to do with anything (I suppose mostly they sound like something an "old person" would say), but they just came to mind, and these days, when something comes to mind, I find that if I don't write it down quick, I'll forget it!
Thanks, Rebecca, for your interesting observation and funny comment!
It gave me something to post this morning!
P.S. How many of you out there in blogger land, who know us well, think our son looks just like his father? Let's hear your votes: Does he look more like his father or his mother?
6 comments:
I agree, Mom; "old" is a relative term. Andy and I joke about how "old" we are now, compared to the teenagers that we work with in "Young" Life.
But at the same time, I was the youngest by ten years to inner tube down the river under the light of the full moon the other night. Being old in years means nothing. It's all about your heart.
And hey, at least Dad is comfortable using a lap top, instead of complaining about all these new-fangled contraptions that the kids use today.
One last thought...how come grey hair on men looks so dignified and debonair, but women feel like they have to go to great lengths to avoid it? Not fair, I say!
Thanks, Sherry! The hair thing is my personal claim to youthfulness (which I'm determined to hang onto). I chuckle everytime I look at my new photo on this blog (the one that says, "Click here...") -- it sure looks like I'm coloring my gray, wouldn't you say? How many times do we see that color on someone my age and say, "Yup, you can sure tell that's a dye-job!" (hee hee) Not a hair on my head has been dyed yet! So, I must be a "young person"!
My vote is Jim looks like his father. That was my immediante reaction when I saw him, for the first time in a long time, at Suzanne's wedding. Age is all perespective, both ours and other people's in relation to us. A spry 80 year old would thing some 70 year-olds sitting in a nursing home are old!
At work I'm called "grandpa" because I'm the oldest guy, by far, in the shop. The young people tease me because they know their time is coming all too soon!
Hummm???? I'm gonna waver comment on that one. I haven't thought of Jim looking like either his dad or mom. Although, I do believe he takes after the "Smith" side. Our grampa Smith, and Greg Pierce, Tom, our brother.
Age is only in our mind! But!! "If"? You want to take 20 years off your face, put some color back in, and shave off the beard and neck hair. It would probably take off more than 20 years.
Grey hair I was told last night, gives you "respect". And I said, Yea, but will "I" ever get some respect, if my hair doesn't turn grey? What a sad thought!!
I guess I will always be thought of as the "rebel".
Good Grief!! I'll have to be more careful with my tongue in cheek remarks!!!!!!
Ha Ha Ha !!! We've had all kinds o' fun with this one! And, tomorrow, there's more to come!
Post a Comment