The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Living in a World Gone Nuts!

This morning, as I sit here at the computer reading the news, coffee cup in hand, I am overwhelmed with a flood of disgust and sadness at the state of violent turmoil in which our world spins, seemingly out of control!

People viciously mistreat and disrespect others and then turn around and blame their victims! It's happening everywhere! Even I have personally experienced this strange phenomenon in recent days. Unfortunately, this type of incredulous attack has become reality in our world today--not only in far off places, but within our own spaces.
  • What has happened to decency and common sense?
  • Why do people insist on promoting their own selfish and corrupt desires, even at the expense of others?
  • Why is there no consideration for the personal rights and well-being of others?
  • Why does a perpetrator blame his/her victim?
It seems to me that an evil destroyer is hard at work, seeking victims to devour. Hmmmm, a Bible verse suddenly comes to mind:

"Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him and be strong in your faith." (I Peter 5:8,9b)

Oh, God, help me (us) to stand firm against attacks by the enemy. For we aren't really struggling against flesh and blood, but against the devil--the enemy of our souls!

"Be strong with the Lord's mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:10-12)

Oh, how I needed that reminder from God this morning! We are living in a world that has gone nuts--a world that is seriously under attack by the enemy of our souls!
But, praise be to God, our ever present help in times of trouble!

1 comment:

Mister Ed T said...

I hear you! Have had many similar thoughts and experiences.