The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Monday, August 14, 2006

A Great Weekend!

On Saturday afternoon Larry and I went hiking in the gorge -- the super gorgeous Columbia River Gorge that stretches for miles and miles, encompassing several hours of driving through unsurpassed, magnificent natural beauty. There are several huge waterfalls within a 30-45 minute drive of our house, so we chose that area to do a little hiking and sight-seeing--an area that we never tire of seeing. Click here to see pictures.

On Sunday afternoon we met our friends, Jim and Sara, for supper at Island Café -- one of our most favorite eating spots on the river -- totally outdoors, at the end of a dock in a marina. After that, Larry and I went to the "monster truck" show at the Clark County Fair (in Vancouver, Washington, where we used to live) . . . because I LOVE IT!

It's where we get to watch and holler as trucks run an individually-timed race through a very rough, dirt obstacle course, full of big bumps, deep ruts, and a water pit. They recklessly speed their way through the muck and mire, sometimes going airborn, sometimes getting stuck, sometimes hitting the humongous logs that outline the course, sometimes flipping over, and often getting seriously damaged--such as burning up an engine, breaking tie rods, losing a rear axle, blowing out the clutch, smashing or popping out windows, totally destroying tires...you name it--it happens! Smoke billows, dust and mud goes flying, vehicle parts come lose and flap around (or fly off), or get dragged until they drop off. Tow trucks are needed frequently, and the emergency crews (ambulance and fire truck) stand by, waiting to jump into action.

Last night's show was not a disappointment! An all-time record was set -- there were four roll-overs! YESSSS! Such excitement...such a wild and crazy adrenalin rush! Amazingly, no one gets hurt (usually). Only one vehicle caught fire last night, and all the drivers survived their mishaps. The crowd (including yours truly) yells and screams and frequently jumps to their feet, loving every minute of the crazy excitement, as we sit on the edge of our seat just waiting for the next awful thing to happen!

I don't know what gets into me, but I just cut loose and go nuts with gleefull, frenzied abandon! I guess the deeply hidden-away "red-neck" in me gets a chance to break out of her cage for one wild evening, once a year! And, now, after admitting to that less-refined side of me, I shall go play the piano--returning to the more dignified and lady-like person that people usually assume me to be. Ha!

6 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Awsome post Jeannie, thanks. I would have loved to have been there with you guys to watch. Actually, Ed would have been the most excited fan.

Anonymous said...

The gorge looks breathtaking! Ah, the redneck in you! I remember, in the Yukon you always wanted to go on the back trails, which we finally did. Monster trucks? Colleen I watched truck and tractor pulls once. Yes only once. I better get busy and defend my redneck integrity here!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were flying "high". I've never been to a monster truck event--sounds rather dangerous for the driver--guess that's why they do it--for the rush they get! Hope all is well with you. We will be going to Gun Lake this weekend thru next week with Chris/Justin and kids. Hopefully Doug and Sarah can come also. (Remember Gun Lake and the "bad" sunburn just before you moved to California?) It still is a popular place for everyone to go--close to home. Loved the pics of the gorge. Makes me remember the trip we took with my sister. I remember those waterfalls, the gorge and the beautiful drive. You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful area with lots to see and do.

Eagle-eye Di said...

It sounds like it made for quite a time of excitement.We haven't gone to a monster truck show as of yet but would like to.I guess one of these times we will just have to plan a time.By the way Jeannie,I can't seem to sign in to post some more pictures.Do they have a new page?It only shows people how to make a blog or get you into other people's blogs.I feel like it must just be me having my mind go blank again.Help me out by letting me know.I have clicked onto different spots on the page and can't seem to get into my post blog page.

Eagle-eye Di said...

By the way Jeannie,I just clicked back into my blog and have found that I have my correct sign in spot again.Thanks if you helped me in my problem again.

Anonymous said...

Sounds loud and fun!