I thought, "This can't be real...it just can't be true...how could this name be on my caller I.D.??? I was in such a state of shock I almost didn't answer the call, and I was sure it couldn't possibly be who it said it was. Finally, I picked up the handset, and said almost timidly, " h e l l o o o ? " Yup, sure enough--it really was him -- RALPH SUTERA . . . one of the Sutera Twins, of the Sutera Twins Revival Fellowship Ministry!
Talking to him this afternoon gave me such an incredible surge of joyful excitement.
The Sutera Twins ministry is a very special part of my life story, so I will always have great enthusiasm and excitement when I think back on that time in my life. That was in 1972! God did amazing things in my life, and in the life of my husband, and in our lives as a family, as a result of being involved with that ministry experience many years ago. Maybe someday I'll write the story.Getting a phone call from Ralph today, all these years later, is such a wonderful highlight for me! We had a really nice phone visit this afternoon--almost like talking to a long-lost special relative! Plus, he put me in touch with a lady from one of my old churches back in Michigan -- a lady I have fond memories of and great respect for, who is their ministry secretary. I have sent an email off to her, and I have no doubt she will probably fall off her chair when she gets it.
I still can't believe he called me today! The last time I experienced this kind of "high" was when I found myself standing beside Tommy Smothers, in a small circle of people at one of my husband's business conferences. I had no clue who I was standing next to until my husband began introducing me to everyone who was already standing in the little group, talking, before I joined them. He began the introductions with the person to our left, and worked his way around the circle, naming each person. When he got to the person who was standing right next to me on the right side, he said, in the same casual manner, and this is Tommy Smothers. (He had already told me that Tommy Smothers was to be the featured entertainment at the conference, and would be on-stage after dinner one night.)
Who is Tommy Smothers, you ask? Well, if you have to ask, you are probably much younger than I am. He is a one of the well-known "Smothers Brothers" duo, who had their own TV show back in the late 1960's. They were big name stars who performed hilariously funny, musical comedy routines, plus made some "records", and continued to be popular professional entertainers for many years.
6 comments:
Thanks, Colleen, for passing my name and phone number on to Ralph Sutera!
You think "you" just fell off your chair? I think Ed thought the house was on fire, for all the hollering I was doing. Wow!! Be still my "still pounding heart"!! I am so excited that he called you. I can imagine how you must have been feeling. Wow! This is just too cool!
You just made my day. Now "I'm on a high"! Thank you Jeannie for letting me know about your call.
Love you!!
You have been tagged!
Wow! When I saw the pictures of your special friend "Ralph", I couldn't help but think how awesome it is, when we have older mentors in the faith! Tomorrow night my hubby and I are going to have dinner with our first pastors - they baptised us...and trained us up! Now they are in their 70's or 80's...and I'm so blessed that we can go and tell them how much they touched our lives! So...I say all that, to say this: I smiled with warm 'idenitification' when you shared your excited - mine's bubbling away too!
What a wonderful surprise you had that day.This sure brought back some memories for me also.You and Larry are why we went to Woodward Ave Baptist Church to visit.We made a change and have been going there since Annette was 5 months old in 1974.
Oh, that's right -- I had forgotten that part of the story! (that part of our involvement with the Sutera Twins Ministry). Oh my goodness! God's work in people's lives, through that ministry was so far-reaching! Thanks, Dianne, for reminding me of that!
Post a Comment