- Is blogging really a worthwhile use of my time?
(I'm not totally convinced it is.) - Is blogging sometimes used to fling out thoughts and opinions that should really be kept within one's own private space?
(Yup, I'm totally convinced of that because of some things I've read on blogs.) - Is it possible to speak one's mind without offending someone else? (maybe not)
- Would it be worthwhile to try?
(Yes, I truly believe it would be worth putting effort into.) - Why? Because I do care whether I offend others by speaking my mind. (Sometimes it's necessary to speak my mind on something that might seem abrasive or offensive to the listener, but usually that can be done, and should be done in private conversation.)
This world is becoming more and more self-centered and inconsiderate of others. I see it and hear it all around me constantly -- "ME FIRST--regardless of what anyone else thinks or feels." What has happened to human kindness and respect for others? What has happened to exercising restraint, and caring more about the feelings of others than the right to do and say whatever one feels and thinks--with no thought given to how it will be received by others?
I've pondered this subject for a long time--both in the blogging world and in the real world -- the lack of sensitivity and consideration shown in what is sometimes said (which often prompts an equally insensitive and inconsiderate response). We tout our own right to freedom of expression, as though it doesn't matter if anyone is offended or hurt by what we say. When I was in elementary school I was taught that my freedom stops at the end of someone else's nose. In other words, I may have freedom of speech, but I do not have the right to hurt someone else by what I say. Oh, I am so guilty on this count! How often have I said something that hurt someone else, and then defended my right to my own opinion--and to say whatever I think! Freedom of speech and the right to my own opinion does not give me the right to be rude and disrespectful toward others. How I'd like to be able to take back some things I've said! How I wish that others would also realize the need to carefully rethink what they've felt free to say! Oh, what awful pain we can so carelessly cause to others!
These thoughts came into sharp focus this morning when I read the following bit of wisdom:
"First Rule of Blogging (in my world):
Don't hide behind the anonymity [of blogging] to say things that would hurt, or slander anyone. Be kind, be honest, but be respectful!"
That so clearly summed up what I've been thinking and feeling lately. It was written by another blogger as a comment on her young daughter's blog. I've just recently started reading "Super Mom" and find it really worthwhile. This morning I also read her daughter's blog, and was quite impressed! This 13-year old girl has insight way beyond her years!
As I pondered all of this stuff this morning (giving thought to writing about it), it occurred to me that when I point my finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at me--because there isn't a one of us (including me) who isn't guity of being inconsiderate of someone, sometime. But, I want to make an attempt to turn a corner here, and start thinking more about how I can put into practice what I have just said. I want to be one who at least tries to make a difference in this inconsiderate, self-centered world, rather than just accepting the current trend of indifference toward what anyone else thinks or feels. Yup, change has to start with me--today.
2 comments:
Hey Jeannie...what a treat that someone read my blog and liked it! wow! It's always neat isn't it, when something you say, 'twigs' for someone else! Bless you, for encouraging me..and my daughter! She's over the moon that someone read her blog, and encouraged her get writing her own. I think the older women, may end up finding that they can use 'blogs' and 'comments' to be exhorters and encouragers of the younger ones. I know that it's given me a lot of thought, as I've watched her be so encouraged by comments. Hmmm..something to think about eh? (That's Canadian for 'huh'.)
Well Jeannie, you got me tongue tied. I don't really know how to respond, mainly because I'm not too sure what all you are really referring to. There is alot of stuff in here. Give us some hints. Has any of us offended you by our posts or comments? If you prefer to email, then please do so.
Post a Comment