The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Breakfast - Poolside - in January!

This morning it was just too nice outside to eat breakfast inside! Fifty degrees, sitting in the sun, felt more like 70-75, so out I went with my breakfast tray. I wasn't the least bit chilly in just shirt sleeves (well, plus the other necessary attire). In fact, by the time I finished my breakfast, I was getting downright too warm in long sleeves. If I had stayed out there much longer, I would have needed to change into cooler clothing. Ahhhhh, bring on summertime!

Oh, by the way, regarding the yellow Corvette shown at the top of my blog . . .
No, we have not suddenly gone hog wild on a spending spree, because of the sale of our house in Oregon. We happened upon this fine speciman at a car show when we went to the Texas State Fair last summer. One can dream big, right?

Time has passed since posting the above. Now it's 4:50 P.M. and I've just come inside after sitting outside again--for the third time today! When I ate my lunch out there it was between 65 and 70 degrees of wonderful sunshine and deep blue sky. (By then I had changed into cooler clothes and discarded my shoes.) Trying to read while I ate was almost impossible because I couldn't keep my head in my book! I kept looking around at the sky, enjoying the warmth of the day, and thinking, "This can't be winter--the end of January!" Later in the afternoon the temperature had climbed to 73 degrees, so I grabbed my book and went out for one more healthy helping of sunshine. With just the barest whisper of a breeze caressing my toes, bright, warm sunshine, and beautiful blue skies, I was magically transported into the most ideal summer day you could ever imagine. Then my cell phone rang.

How quickly I was brought back to reality when the caller gave me the news that a dear friend had just died. She was one of my favorite residents at the assisted living facility where I work--the first of those I know well and think of as my chosen friends. This is the only hard part of working in a place such as this. I know I will continually say a sad goodbye to one after another. It's all part of the "job" that I have chosen--or that God has chosen for me. His joy is my strength.

1 comment:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Elegant home, Jeannie!