The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

May Day, May Day!

Well, here we are at the start of a new month--one of my favorites!
It's so beautiful outside now! I wonder why there is the practice of yelling, "MAY DAY MAY DAY!" when a ship or plane is about to go down. That would indicate that on May Day (May 1st) we should feel some horrible sense of impending peril! However, for me, May Day is simply the beginning of a season of beautiful weather and fun in the sun.

This morning I went for an early morning walk to celebrate May Day. There was a bit of chill in the air, but it felt so invigorating that I wondered why I don't get out and do this every morning. (The desire is there, but the flesh is weak, when the bed is warm and comfy.) As I stepped out into the chilly morning air, all of my senses were instantly awake, delighted with the cool freshness of a new day. There was deep pleasure in the memories that suddenly engulfed me--joyful exhilaration in the instant replay of other moments like this when I've experienced such a rush of rejuvenation.
  • Going camping and waking up to the chill of early morning...stepping out of the tent into the cool freshness that makes you feel alive--and ready for a hot cup of coffee at the crackling campfire (already started by my husband before I get up).


  • Attending women's retreats up in the mountains...walking outside from the dorm or cabins to the dining hall, eagerly anticipating a hot, delicious breakfast, after savoring the briskness of cool mountain air.


  • Sleeping out under the stars, in the backyard (as a child)...waking up covered with the dewy dampness of dawn, after being roused by the chirping of the birds.
I smiled as I took a deep breath and looked around me. Not a soul was in sight anywhere. Only the cheerful chirping of the birds penetrated the stillness. And, I was so glad I had followed through on my decision to start going for morning walks.

Want to join me? We could talk on our cell phones as we walk "together."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an excellent idea!
Uncle Ed

Anonymous said...

As soon as I get my cast off, I'll be there!

Eagle-eye Di said...

I'll go for that walk with you Jeannie.Can we go for a mocha afterwards?We could walk in the direction of the coffee beanery.
I will always remember walking in the house from sleeping out under the stars with eyes swollen shut from mosquitoe bites.It put a smile on my face remembering our sleep outs on Naylor Street.
It would be interesting to study up on why the term May Day was used as a term of the ship or plane going down.New post Jeannie.

CML_Shearings said...

Your descriptions are so great! I feel I am there with you. Call any time.