The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Friday, May 4, 2007

First Baby

My husband spotted it first and called me to come and see. This little baby robin was sitting right at the edge of our patio, just outside Larry's office window. Daddy was not far away, busy finding worms to feed his baby. Larry actually saw the feeding in process, but, alas, I missed out on that part. The little one sat perfectly still, just waiting patiently for its next mouthful, while daddy hopped around the yard finding food and chasing other birds away. Adorable! I just wanted to go out there and pick up the baby and hold it in my hands, but I resisted the urge, and just enjoyed watching instead.

A couple hours later I noticed it sitting under a tree in the backyard. As I watched, I discovered the daddy was still nearby, looking for food. It was making a constant trek back and forth to feed not only this baby in the yard, but also his other babies in the nest. The nest, which was snuggled back into the pine tree in the corner of our yard, was so well hidden that it actually couldn't be seen until the daddy went to it. As I watched closely, I saw the movement of other birds in the nest, and actually saw one little mouth open wide to receive what the daddy fed it. The biggest thrill was watching the daddy feed his baby sitting out in the open, under our tree. That little one just sat there for the longest time, waiting for the next bite of food, and then opening his beak wide to receive his food. I must have spent an hour standing at my bedroom wndow watching this amazing sight!

(Yes, Rebecca, I guess I must be a "twitcher", although my husband calls me an ornithologist. I told him, "With a title like that, maybe I should get my doctorate so I could fix up the birds who get injured." Isn't that what "doctors" do?)

5 comments:

Kinza said...

Ahhh!
So adorable! I know what you mean by wanting to go and pick it up and cuddle it!!
Kinza :)

Anonymous said...

How fun is that...oh Twitcher friend. You would love it here as there are 'birds galore' - (and that does not include the seaguls dancing in the field behind the house. I have a friend who just took her young sons on a "Dawn Chorus' walk that was set up by an organization in her city. I was so jealous as I would love to do that (and will do it once this cast is gone)...but you should check that out, maybe they have such a thing where you live....

Anonymous said...

Where's the mother, O Great Orothosogist!
Uncle Ed

Anonymous said...

I would assume her to be at the nest with her other babies.

Eagle-eye Di said...

Oh yeh,you have babies!That is so good that Larry caught that out your window.Lots of babies are being born round about now.Wally's female friend is probably about to have her babies also.Spring is new life.Love ya.