The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Just a Little Toilet Humor

We've all noticed how public restrooms have become so wonderfully automated in this "post-modern" world we now live in.

The water turns on automatically as soon as you stick your fingers under the faucet. (Unless you're like me--seemingly invisible. I frequently have to go from sink to sink, trying out several, until one finally recognizes me as worthy of water!)

The paper towel rolls down automatically as soon as you place your hands below the sensor. (Unless you're like me, having to wave and do a little dance until it finally gives in and hands me a towel!)

The toilet flushes automatically as soon as you stand up after doing your duty. (Unless you're like me and it flushes before I even sit down; or it flushes just because I leaned over it to spread a sanitary cover on the toilet seat; or it flushes before I'm even finished, just because I leaned forward to put a little more ooomph into my procedure. And, when I am finished and stand up -- it doesn't flush, so I sit down and stand up a few more times trying to get it to flush!)

In some airports, a new sanitary cover will be automatically placed on the toilet seat for you, at the simple push of a little button. (Unless you're like me . . .)

Well, yesterday I experienced the ultimate automated toilet task. While having lunch with a friend at a restaurant in Vancouver, Washington, I went to visit the restroom. While seated on the toilet, I reached for the tissue and gave it a little tug. To my great surprise, when I gave the tiniest tug on the end of the tissue (which protruded from a very large container that held two giant-size, commercial style rolls of toilet tissue), the large trap door flew wide open and a humongous roll of toilet tissue plopped into my lap! It so startled me that I nearly fell off my seat, but then broke into laughter--out loud!

What a treat! Now we have automatic toilet tissue dispensers--not just a small amount, but a whole roll, at your service! How much better can it get?

7 comments:

Kinza said...

I know what you mean!!! :)
Love ya!
Kinza :)

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

This is so funny Jeannie!! I sat here and laughed the whole time I read it, cause it reminded me of some funny times I have had with those different items, myself. So funny!!

Mister Ed T said...

You must be the jinx of hi- tech! But you have to admit, they are much more sanitary. No more having to touch somethig that has had contact with... Well nuff said.

I've conducted a few experiments on these automatic devices and find that they are hard to fool.

Now to install some at home.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I thought I was the only person that those kind of things happened to!! And I 'feel your pain' when you discribe going from one sink to another trying to get the 'automatic' water flowing! But large, industrial size rolls of toilet paper landing in my lap - nope! That one's original - all yours!

CML_Shearings said...

Adroitly describing the humorous details in what we all experience are your forte, Jeannie. Who has not had such things happen? I'll definitely laugh the next time this occurs, remembering that it could be a whole roll in my lap!

Eagle-eye Di said...

You'll have to excuse me while I can't see to read anymore and need to get a tissue to wipe my tears of laughter away.Thanks Jeannie for the hilarias post.I loved it.When I first saw the name of your post I went oh oooooogh.I began reading and couldn't stop the rumbling of laughter filling the living room as I read to the end of it.I ended up with a wet face and shirt.I guess it was time for one good laugh that will still come through out the evening as I remember parts of the post.Can't wait for Chuck to get home to read it to him.The laughter of the evening will be on you tonight.

Anonymous said...

Only you, Jeannie, can put a humorous slant to something that is such a common happening! I love reading about your "experiences".

Things have gotten busy for me here at work now that the tax year is over and I have "stuff" to do. Every day I get closer to the big "R", I get more excited. This year is a year of "lasts". Last time for this and last time for that. Yeah!!! I'm already thinking ahead to possibilities for next year's winter months.