The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Cat-Scam

'Twas the start of the day, and all thru the house
Not a creature was stirring--not even a mouse.
I was all settled within my blue chair,
With Bible in lap, and sun shining fair.
When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter.

Inside of my house, a bird was in flight,
Flapping and fluttering in, oh, such a fright!
Confused and dismayed, and crashing about,
Desperately trying to find its way out!
I stood there wondering, “What shall I do?”
Now, both of us frightened, and in such a stew!

Then came the idea—"I’ll go get my broom,
And gently guide that poor bird from the room."
But, wouldn’t ya know it—as I walked away,
My cat seized the moment and grabbed birdie to play!
That poor little bird was simply no match
For the pride of a feline who had landed her catch!

With glee in her stance, she carried her prize,
And played with her toy till it met its demise.
Failing to coax my pet from its prey,
“Oh, God, please help”, was all I could say.
I watched in sad horror as the bird grew still,
Yet my cat wouldn’t leave the side of its kill.

Now and again she would bat with her paws,
Apparently hoping resurrection to cause!
Into the air she’d flip the dead bird,
While paying no heed to my scolding word.
At last she tired of her exciting feat,
And I lured her away with a better treat.

I loathed what she did, as I cleaned up the mess,
But in spite of my feelings, I must confess…
I still love my cat, though sometimes she’s bad,
And does awful things that make me so sad.
When I displease God, I’m happy to know,
He always forgives, for He loves me so!

6 comments:

CML_Shearings said...

I love your ability to recreate or create poems! That's exactly how I feel about Rachel, Esther's cat, who has also turned into a huntress. Thanks for the encouragement you give me on both your blog and my blog. I think that only you and Sherry read mine, although I have told others of the site.

Kinza said...

Oh! Auntie Jeannie!
I LOVE your poem but I feel dreadfully sorry for you and the bird, though I give NO pity for Pretzel! Do you know how that bird got into your house?
--Thanks for the e-mail A.J.!

Well I gota scoot!
Love ya
Kinza :)

Montana Sherry C said...

Oh, so funny, Mom, and such a clever rendition in rhyme!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Oh my Jeannie!! I'm sitting here in stitches!! Thank's, for such a fun poem!!

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical Jeannie,
I am laughing at the good picture you have created.
I can just imagine chasing around with a broom..
the bird invaded the cat's territory, so it just did what comes natural!
Gross!!!!!

Eagle-eye Di said...

Oh that must have been several awful moments while trying to rescue that birdie from a deathly end.I'm sure Pretzel was enjoying her invigerating capture in which she would proudly lay it at your feet and hope to hear the words,Job well done!