Yesterday I spent three hours at a hair salon, getting my hair permed. What an interesting conversation I had with a total stranger! She was God's reminder to me to find joy in my journey through life!
We talked about the "empty nest syndrome" and the fact that life just doesn't stay the same for us. There's always another new stage--another segment of our journey--things change, yet there's always new joy to be experienced!
I don't know about you, but I do know this about me: I always want to hang onto whatever I enjoy, and I don't want it to change--ever! God is the same today as He was yesterday, and He will be the same tomorrow, so why does everything else that I hold near and dear to me have to go through stages of change? Change can suck the joy right out of me!
But, according to my hairdresser, it doesn't have to be that way. There is new joy to be found in every new day, in every new situation, and in every new stage of life. Finding joy in a new segment of my journey through life doesn't mean I have decided that this new stage is better than what brought me great joy before, and it doesn't mean that what I experienced before is now just to be forgotten as I move into the next stage of my life. It just means that my entire life should be a joyful journey--whatever stage I'm in --whatever segment of the journey I'm on -- there will always be new joys just waiting to be discovered!
God intended it be that way! My joy should not depend on my outward circumstances, but rather on what's in my heart. So, the title of my new blog is my reminder to keep my focus upon the "joy of the Lord" as He walks with me and I walk with Him, hand-in-hand, in my journey through life, because "The joy of the Lord is my strength!"
1 comment:
It is funny what jumps out of a blog - not to diss the main content of course!!!
But, a perm?
I went one time here to ask for one (that was eight years ago) and the hairdresser absolutely refused to do such a thing!
And so it has continued!
I am shocked and surprised to hear they still exist!!
Not that I am saying you are old fashioned or anything - heck, a perm would help my fly away locks a lot! Especially in our climate....But as the Dutch like to say - it is not possible!!!!
Post a Comment