This morning, as I was sitting on the couch, I heard a bird call to me-- that lovely sound that always captures my attention! I get so much enjoyment from feeding the birds and watching them eat at my feeders. I hung up several feeders, in various locations throughout my yard, hoping that whenever and wherever I happen to look out a window, I would catch sight of birds enjoying what I have provided for them.
However, the birds aren't at the feeders nearly as often as I would like. So frequently I hear their sweet sounds and hurry to the window to see them, but feel a bit of sadness that they aren't munching contentedly at the bird feeders. They're just enjoying what birds do--flying and flittering from perch to perch.
As my attention was drawn, once again, by the distinitive bird call close by, I quickly turned my head, expecting to see a bird at the feeder close by. But, once again, I felt such disappointment that there was no bird there, and I wondered why the birds don't avail themselves, more often, of the nourishment that is so readily available.
I said out loud, "Lord, I long to see the birds feeding at my feeders. Why aren't they taking advantage of what I have provided for them?"
Then God said to me, "Jeannie, I know how you feel, for that's what I wonder also, about my children -- Why don't they more frequently feed on the nourishment of my Word, that is so readily available for them? I have provided spiritual food for their welfare, but it is ignored more than it is enjoyed. Why aren't my children always gobbling it up, or at least nibbling on the nuggets that I have provided for their daily spiritual nourishment? It's all there for strengthening and comforting, for wise instruction and soundness of mind, for lasting peace and fullness of joy. Feed on my Word, Jeannie; drink deeply from my well of living water that never runs dry."
3 comments:
Great Anology. Ever thought of writing a daily devotiaonal booklet?
Oooh, good stuff, Mom.
I have a friend who has, on her balcony, a chimenea.
They have not been able to use it because some birds have found it a very attractive nesting ground. It is now full of little birdy babies.
This reminds me also of how sometimes we have plans and they have to go on hold because our Creator has bigger plans for those around us.
It is amazing what we can learn from nature........
Post a Comment