The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Friday, June 3, 2005

A New Interest

Yesterday I went to the mall and spent the afternoon shopping away my "blues". (Don't we all get a little "blue" now and then?) I must confess--it isn't really the indulgence in shopping that lifts me out of my doldrums--it's the indulgence of the Cinnabon! Several years ago I discovered this delectable treat! So, whenever I go to the mall, I treat myself to this sweet little pick-me-up--and it always works!

After getting my Cinnabon and a cup of coffee, I picked out just the right spot to sit and enjoy some pleasant moments of watching and listening to everyone around me, while I sipped and snacked. In fact, it was so enjoyable, I decided to make sure I do it frequently! All cares seem to disappear while paying attention to others! Amazing! I was refreshed and happy! (Then I was able to continue shopping with a much lighter heart! hee hee)

While I was browsing in the shoe department of a large department store, I noticed an elderly couple approach the display table next to me. The woman immediately picked up a particular shoe and made negative comments about it, comparing it to another shoe--a more preferrable shoe she had just considered elsewhere. Then she committed that common wifely error of attempting to gain her husband's supportive agreement in something that made no real significant difference to him, by asking, "What do you think?" Evidently, her husband wasn't paying close attention to her comments or to her mindset, because he cheerfully replied (apparently trying to appear in agreement with her), "Yes, this one is much prettier!" It was at that point I turned to get a good look at this couple. I just couldn't help myself--amazed and amused by their confusing, yet comical interaction, with the husband being totally oblivious to the fact that he had just completely missed his wife's clearly stated thoughts! The wife, flabbergasted by his misspoken, misunderstood "agreement" with her, quickly asked, "You think so? Well, why would you say that?" As I watched with great interest, this humorously serious moment in the life of a husband and wife, the poor husband lost his cheerful countenance, shrugged his shoulders, and said meekly, "Because you asked."

A giggle started to form within me and began making its way to my face. Quickly, I realized I couldn't contain my smile or the chuckle that was just begging to be let loose, so I moved on, without allowing myself to finish looking at the shoes that had originally captured my attention. Then I let the giggle loose! Oh, that felt so good!

People watching -- my new interest -- perhaps more fun (and much more theraputic) than bird-watching! Oh, the joys of life!

11 comments:

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

I quite often have "my little giggle moments", at Wal-Mart. Yesterday I gigled and gigled, until I figured my department manager would get upset with me. But she was the one involved in the little scenerio at the cosmetic till. A man had come in looking for "nail stuff", for his wife. You would have had to have been there to have heard the voice fluctuations and question directed to the man from my department manager. ("For, "your nails"????) It was so funny, I laughed and laughed, and he said, "Oh, I got to get out of here"!! I love "people watching". I have always been a "very observant" people watcher. When the man left, I, laughing, told him thanks, for the bright spot in my day.

Oh, and by the way, thanks Jeannie, for leaving the connection to your "other" Rascally Jack blog in, so I can still get in and look at the pictures and read. Much appreciated

Montana Sherry C said...

Yes, but can they compare to the cinammon rolls at A Place to Ponder, my little bakery in Hamilton? Elli and I took Esther there a couple of days ago. Amazing stuff there.

Anonymous said...

Colleen, wouldn't it be fun to get together, "go people-watching" and explode all our giggles together? Oh, what fun we'd have! Let's get Dianne in on this one! Yup...gotta do it!

Carol-Ann, for your "resultant tooth-decay", I highly recommend this: (1) Carry dental floss with you at all times--pull it out and floss enthusiastically right on the spot, as soon as you finish your Cinnabon (in the presence of everyone around); (2) Also carry a toothbrush and toothpaste with you at all times--go to the nearest drinking fountain as soon as you finish eating and brush energetically (apologizing profusely to those who stand in line behind you). (3) As soon as you finish, giggle as you walk away, and then allow the giggle to turn into a belly laugh as you walk through the mall! I guarantee your teeth will be just fine (and your mental state will be much improved)! (Just don't do it in the presence of your clients or co-workers.)

Sherry, NO, absolutely not! Cinnabons cannot even begin to compare to the cinnamon rolls at "A Place to Ponder"! However, it's the best I can do until I come your way again. What...you took Esther to our favorite spot?? Now, the secret's out!

Mister Ed T said...

But the best cinnamon buns come from the oven of wascally wabbit. But, sad to say, its been a long time since she baked some. I'm getting hungry already! I do agree, "people watching" is a fun and interesting passtime. I wonder if God does that too!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Sorry everyone, but I just have to "interject" here on the lack of the cinnabons in my oven. My interest "waned", on baking bread, when Elmer Fudd started going to the store to buy "store bought" bread, the same day I baked home made bread. Hummmmmmmm?????

Mister Ed T said...

What does I guy have to do to get out of the dog house? :)

Anonymous said...

Elmer - Funny thing about dog houses, they are so easy to get into and so tough to get out of. Puppies put their tail between their legs and give a real sad pathetic look that can't be ignored. If it works for puppies, why shouldn't it work for us too?(Oh, and flowers never hurt either). Rascal Jack's experienced other half.

Eagle-eye Di said...

I love watching people,you can get some pretty good laughts or shed a few tears.I like to sit facing the bulk of the large array of people to observe everyone.

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Hummmmmmmm????? Flowers would be nice!! But it won't get him out of the dog house for a loooooooong time! What man in his "right mind", goes to the store to buy "store bought bread" while home made bread sits on his counter? Maybe, "a dozen roses"??

Montana Sherry C said...

Guess what, Mom? Looks like I am coming to town June 27-July 6--with both kids. Connie and her girls would like to stay over on our first and last nights in town, if that's ok. Also, she would like to see if we can work in a trip to the zoo on one end of the trip or the other. Wanna come along? Oh, and I know you will have the kids for a week later in the month, so I don't want to overburden you. We have plenty of people we can stay with for a couple of nights here and there, if it would be better.

CML_Shearings said...

Esther ate at "A Place to Ponder" with me five years ago after we attended a preteen & mother affair. Guess what. I had a cinnamon roll & it was scrumptious back then, too.