First we headed off to visit the site of JFK's assassination.
I remember it like it happened only yesterday! My first shocking awareness of that tragedy happened while I was at school...
I was in Junior High School, passing between classes on an outside covered, curving walkway that connected paralell wings of the building. A girl ran past me in hysterics, crying and screaming out "Kennedy's just been assassinated!" I was stunned, but thinking, "It can't be true!" When I reached my classroom I realized I wasn't the only one in shock, and hoping the breaking news to be false. Then the announcement came over the PA system and the reality of it sunk in--hard and deep, as an eerie silence settled over the classroom. Everyone, including the teacher, was crying, and class was set aside, as grief invaded the classroom.
Here, on this pleasant parkway, is where it happened.
Now, on to less noteworthy, but certainly pauseworthy places.
And who could resist stopping here? Well...we didn't order the "live boiled crawfish",
but we did enjoy eating here and watching all the horse drawn carriages pass by.
Next, it was on to the trolley stop for a ride back to the DART station.
This ol' gal "Rosie" is 102 years old, and has been restored back to her original condition, complete with rich bungundy velvet, ornate seats. Sweet!
All in all, it was a nice trip back in time!
No comments:
Post a Comment