The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Night of Celebration

Friday was quite a day! It was last day of working where I've been for the last three months, and the day that Larry accepted a job offer from the State of Oregon.

He will be a bank examiner, for State-chartered banks all over the State of Oregon, traveling at least two weeks out of four. He starts work on April 28th, and has his first trip away the following week.

As for me, I will be looking for another full-time job. I may do "temp" work at first, until our house sells, and I know where we'll be living. Larry's office is located about 30-45 minutes from home, so our thought right now is to live about half way between his office and our church. I'm thinking I would like to work somewhere in that area. For those of you who know this area, Larry's office is in Wilsonville, although the main office is in Salem (the capitol of Oregon), and he will also be in Salem sometimes.

Friday night we went out with our son and daughter-in-law. Our evening of celebration began at Jim and Patti's apartment, with Hors’ d’oeuvres. Then we twent to a little cafe where we managed to get a table by the windows, with a nice view for sunset.

The excitement began when I decided to raise the window blinds a little more to get a fuller view of the area. Nothing happened when I gave the usual light tug on the cord, so I tugged a little harder. Still nothing. So, Patti suggested I try a stronger pull. I tried, and that's the last I remember about looking out the window before receiving a good hard clunk on my head. The entire set of blinds had come crashing down on top of my head. When I realized I felt a strange wetness in various places, I began discovering blood dripping -- on my hands, face, glasses, clothes, Larry's jacket, on the table. I was suddenly the center of attention in the whole place! Servers came running to assess my condition, and brought a container of some liquid antisceptic to apply with pressure to my head. Somebody was keeping pressure on my head while someone else was cleaning up the blood. After while we realized I was fine, so I regained my composure, and we finished our meal. Little by little we were able to laugh about it and move on to the next restaurant for dessert.

(Oh, we found the blood came from a surface wound, rather than a deep gash, as it felt like. Head wounds always produce dramatic results!)

Next, we went to a wonderful little dessert place/bakery/chocolate factory. The desserts were heavenly--truly heavenly. Mine was called "A Slice of Heaven"--and it was! Just as we finished up, the master choclatier (owner of the place) came to our table and began some very pleasant conversation with us. To our delight and amazement, he insisted we come with him back into his choclate kitchen, and proceeded to give us a complete tour, explaining the entire process to us. By the time we left there we felt like old friends--very special and especially privileged! We have no idea why he chose to do that with us--maybe it was the blood all over my shirt. Anyway, it was just the perfect finishing touch (the "icing on the cake") to our evening of celebration.

7 comments:

Mister Ed T said...

Awesome! Prayers have been answered. Jehovah-Jireh has shown Hhimself faithful once again.

Yes head wounds are like that. Suzie got one when she fell on the corner of the piano at church during kids club once upon a time. I wanted to write a story about it: Blood on the Piano."

Oh, are you any smarter after the knock on the head? :)

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

This is so awsome Jeannie! I'm excited for you both.

I'm also sitting here giggling about what happened with the blinds. It was really funny, till I got to the "gorey part". Uhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm glad you were ok.

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word...what a thing to happen!! Congrats on the new job though and I hope the transition goes smoothly for you

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Larry for his new job. "Temping" for a while sounds like a good choice until things settle down and you know where you will be living.

As soon as you mentioned Patti said to tug harder I knew it would be a "Jeannie story". Life is always exciting when with Jeannie. So glad you weren't hurt badly (except your pride) and that you were able to laugh about it. I'll call some time in the near future so we can have a longer talk. Love ya.

strider1971 said...

wow! awesome answer to prayer. and one would wonder if you are well and if you did get any smarter lol congrats

CML_Shearings said...

"We love the LORD, because He hears our voice & our supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to us, therefore we shall call upon Him as long as we live...Gracious is the LORD, & righteous; Yes, our God is compassionate. The LORD preserves the simple; we were brought low,& He saved us. Return to your rest, O my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you." (Psalm 116: 1-2,5-7 Made plural for the blog readers.)

Eagle-eye Di said...

Its wonderful that our Good Lord has given Larry a great job once more.The time in the cafe with the blinds coming down on your head from the great tug would have had me in stiches immediately.So glad to hear you would recover from the ordeal.Our prayers are with you as you wait on the Lord for another job and the selling of your home.