The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Exhausting Rejuvenation

Is it possible? Yes! Cutting away the dead stuff and eliminating the excess is painful and exhausting, but, oh so rejuvenating!

Yesterday I worked in the yard for the entire day! By the time I called it quits (about 7:00/7:30) last night, I could barely force my legs to walk into the house. It took sheer will power just to put one foot in front of the other. First I went into the garage and peeled off the dirty clothes, dropping them right where I pulled them off. (They were not suitable for the dirty clothes hamper!) Then I headed straight for the shower and let the hot water soothe my soreness before I could even begin to scrub away the filth. Washing the gunk out of my hair was the biggest challenge--it was full of pine sap, and shampoo could not remove it! I began thinking I would have to cut it out, but a bar of of soap finally did the trick.

Next stop was the sofa -- somehow I made it that far and stayed there for a long time! Larry was still outside working. (He hadn't started yard work nearly as early in the day as I had.) When he came in, although he too was very tired, he drove to get some "fast food" for us. Otherwise, we may have gone to bed hungry!

This morning I keep walking from window to window, inspecting and admiring the loveliness of our yard. The exhausting labor was well-worth it! Although my body is still weary, and some spots are expressing their disapproval in what I did to them yesterday, I feel rejuvenated--glad for the exercise and fresh air that my lungs took in all day long yesterday!

Oh, and my trees and bushes feel much better today also -- I think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exhausting rejuvination! Just like the school of hard knocks.
Uncle Ed

Anonymous said...

the exhausting exhileration of a job well done is delicious...and looking at the finished product is divine.....well done Jeannie.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeannie....give us a picture will ya?So the rest of us can enjoy your labors too! And yes...what an appropriate phrase, " exhausting rejuvenation" - oh that our work in the Kingdom would have the same ring!

Eagle-eye Di said...

It takes alot of hard work for a beautiful looking yard.Winter normally leaves us alot of dead stuff.I am about to begin using my sprinkler now that its close to July and we are getting dry.Love ya.