The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thanksgiving Time

Tonight I post from my daughter Sherry's house in the Big Sky Country (Montana). Grandma and Grandpa have had the privilege of spending the evening enjoying our grandchildren while their parents are attending a Young Life Staff meeting for the entire Bitterroot Valley region. We're here for the whole week to share a Thanksgiving celebration with them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We left home yesterday morning (Saturday) at 6:00 A.M. and made the 10-hour drive, arriving here at 4:30 P.M. While here, we stay at my dad's place (about 13 miles away from our grandkids' home). Since my dad is out hunting (haven't seen him yet), we have spent all of our time with the kids (the grown up ones and the little ones). We visited with them for the evening (last night), went to church with them this morning, went out to lunch after church, and then back here to their house.

It's always a special treat when we get to spend time with them, but the real fun began when the parents left about 5:00, leaving us in charge of supper time. Sherry told us all the quick, easy supper options that were available, but the kind of supper I had in mind was not to be found in the refrigerator, or in the pantry, or in any of the kitchen cabinets. We bundled up and drove to one of the nearest small towns (about 13-15 miles away), and there we dined at the Dairy Queen, enjoying a delicious vegetarian meal -- everyone got to choose whatever type of ice cream dessert they wanted. While we ate we had a fairly serious discussion about what a healthy meal we were having:

1. Dairy - ice cream made from milk (a good source of calcium)
2. Vegetables - chocolate/fudge toppings made from beans (cocoa beans); vanilla flavoring also made from beans (vanilla beans)
3. Fruit - bananas, cherries, strawberries, pineapple toppings
4. Grains - ice cream cone

Yes, we are good grandparents, and just love the job of caring for our grandchildren!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overheard in the bathroom at church this morning:

Little girl (6 yrs. old) talking to her grandma: "I really like using the big one (toilet stall) because sometimes I have to do a potty dance, and in the big one I have a lot more room to dance around!"

(Yup--that's my little Elli!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that is EXACTLY the kind of Grandmother that I want to be!!!!!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

What a silly little girl!! I am glad to know you made it safe and sound. I was tempted to see if you made it.

Have fun with your grand kids!! Please give them a hug for this "Auntie Grama".

strider1971 said...

sounds like fun. wish I could have been there. I love ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Your back...... Hope all is going well. Just got back last night from New Orleans and off to So Cal tomorrow AM.

Have fun with the kids


Chad

Eagle-eye Di said...

Wow,what a nutricious meal for them.When Dan told me they had feasted on icecream for their meal I told him he had to be mistaken.Jeannie and Larry would have seen that they got a hotdog or hamburger also.Oops,I guess I need to apolize to him.I'll bet they were very hungry later on.Now how can we talk about icecream for dinner on one line and doing the potty dance a couple of lines lower?My My! Happy Thanksgiving and our prayers are with you on your safe return home.