We are back home, safe and sound, and (hopefully) in our right minds! We pulled in last night, mid-evening, after a 10-1/2 hour trip. It felt very good to be home, although we really enjoyed our time in Montana with my dad, our daughter and son-in-law, and our two grandkids.
There seemed to be something extra special about this time of visiting with our "kids". There were lots of fun times with all of them, in various ways -- sometimes all of us together and sometimes just us with our grandkids. Sherry and I also found the opportunity to get off by ourselves for lunch out and grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving day was a wonderful time of fellowship and family fun for all of us, and especially good for Sherry and I in the kitchen as we prepared the meal together.
We stayed at my dad's house and did lots of running back and forth between his house and our daughter's house. It was especially nice to have Larry with me this time, since most of my trips over to Montana are done all by myself. I could tell that Dad was really enjoying having Larry there this time. I was totally surprised by him having a new lady-friend in his life! After a little nervous trepidation, I found that I really like her, and actually enjoyed our times together. But I must admit it was also a bit strange for me to be "double-dating" with my dad and his "girl-friend" -- and to realize that I was the married one, rather than my dad!
We have lots of happy memories of this visit! On our last day there we woke up to a brand new world! The ground was completely covered by a fluffy white blanket, and the trees were decked out in beautiful winter-white finery as well, obviously just waiting for Christmas to arrive! What a cheerful sight to the eyes of those who rarely see snow in our little part of the world. (We get lots of rain and gray skies, but rarely are we treated to snow.) Later in the day, we enjoyed lots of snow play with our "kids" in the yard that used to belong to my parents, and now belongs to our "kids". It's wonderful to see that place full of exhuberant life and noisy fun, with lots of love and laughter.
Originally we had planned to travel home today (Sunday), but by Wednesday morning the weather forecast began to sound really bad for traveling--looking worse and worse in the coming days, so we made the decision to hit the road on Saturday morning and give it our best shot. Saturday morning we woke up to a beautiful winter wonderland with about 5-6 inches of fresh new snow on top of what was new the day before! Knowing that several people were committing to pray for our safety, we stocked our car with provisions for every possible emergency situation, put ourselves in God's care, and set out at 9:15 A.M.
The drive through the mountains looked like a beautiful wintry scene straight out of a Christmas card! It was truly a magnificent, magical, winter wonderland with lots of snow on the ground and the trees all thickly flocked in glistening, fresh whiteness! The snow plows were out in full-force, trying to keep up with all the white stuff that continued to fall while we were driving. Traveling through the mountains, we saw several cars that had slid off the road, even into guard rails. One car was upside down, way off to the side of the road. It was a bit unnerving to see all that, but God kept us safe, and the trip only took us about an hour longer than usual.
We went to church this morning and then out to lunch afterwards. Our weather is rather blustery today, so we've decided to hunker down and just veg for the day! We'll both enjoy a day of total relaxation.
Wow! What a wonderful week it was!
7 comments:
OK...now that would stretch me..a new lady friend....but I think you have a big heart and like you said, you liked her! In the long run - we do not want anyone to be lonely, parents included! Glad you had an incredible Thanksgiving Week.
I am glad you had a great time in Montana, and especially great cause Larry went with you on this trip. Thank's for sharing everything with us Jeannie about your trip, and the pictures. I'm glad you were able to be there at Dad's.
I have "alot" of mixed emotions about Dad's new friend. I know time heals, and people move on. I just don't think I am there yet.
I'm sorry, I'm having a teary time. I still cry for mom, and I know that I have to let her go, but I just can't yet. I'm sorry. My heart still aches too much. I will go to work tomorrow morning with swollen eyes again, most likely.
And Dad, I know it will be a good possibility that you read this. I love you very much, and want you to be happy. You deserve it so much. My heart crys for you!! Please allow your daughter to still grieve for her mom. I have to let go, but I can't. Please give me time yet. I love you with all my heart.
I remember 32 plus years ago when mom sat in my living room helping with little Ronnie as a new born. Somehow the conversation came up as to your's and moms feelings about it anything were to happen to one of you, that you would want the other to move on, and be happy. I have to remember that, and keep pressing "rewind" for awhile. The tape will definately balance out eventually.
And for those of you who can't figure out why a "wascally wabbit" would make such a long long comment, I'm sorry. But this "wascally wabbit" is needing to say all this.
Glad you were able to go and to meet Dad's lady friend too. Also glad you made it home safe and sound.
OK, I haven't been in town for two weeks, so I wasn't the first. I did check occasionally, but not every day. Also read your blog after I sent you the email, so now I know how your Thanksgiving was. I'm glad you had a great time and especially a safe trip. The pics were beautiful, but I have to say, I'm not looking forward to snow.
It is good to see you two made it home safe and sound.I'm sure you had a few frazzled nerves driving through the mountains.Here in Michigan we are having spring type weather.If the sun had been out I'm sure there would have been sun bathers laying out in their yards.We had our firepit going for the weekend while we took to all of the leaves and burned them.Love you all.
Rebecca,I like your comment.Thank-you.
Post a Comment