She began her visit by systematically taking me on a guided tour through my house, gently (but somewhat firmly) suggesting I get rid of 2/3 of my stuff! You see, her purpose in coming was to help me with a garage sale, which I didn't want to bother with, because there wasn't much I wanted to give up. Larry had tried suggesting we have a pre-moving garage sale, full-well knowing the resistance he would get from me. His next "suggestion" was to invite Sherry to come for a visit, knowing full-well that one of her favorite specialties and expertise is garage sales. He also knew that I couldn't resist an opportunity for a visit with Sherry.
She gladly accepted that invitation and came. My home became "her" home and my stuff became "her" stuff for a whole week! She watched me try to resist her suggestions, and she hugged me when I cried. She reassured me whenever I struggled with decisions to say "goodbye" to relatively unimportant possessions, and "high-fived" me whenever I succeeded in giving in to her advice. She also wisely backed off whenever she realized I just couldn't let go of some things.
By the end of the week my home contained a mere skeletal amount of what had filled the closets and cabinets before she arrived, but our piggy banks were full, and boxes to be packed would be fewer! I think we sent Sherry home exhausted, but my heart was full of gladness and gratitude for the week spent with her.
To be continued . . .
(Click here to continue reading)

1 comment:
I can identify with this post. Sherry must be related to my Suzie. We have gone thru this very same scenario. Suzanne would testify a very firm yes to this. Not too easy to let our daughters.being the right one here. I must say that I didn't miss the things I put into bags.
Post a Comment