The picture above so perfectly fits and describes my story—uphill, downhill, round and round, exciting, and scary, bright spots and dark spots. My “joyful journey” has sometimes been an amazing thrill ride and sometimes just a big downward spiral! But, the emotional, mental, and physical struggles are all part of the story, and through it all, I see clear reflections of God’s amazing grace.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Time to Think

Unable to fall asleep! Just too many thoughts swirling around in my head! So, here I am--sitting on the sofa in the family room, all by myself, in a very quiet house. First, I spent some time reading the Bible, concentrating on the good stuff found therein--a very worthwhile use of time like this! Now my thoughts are beginning to spread in various directions.

The World of the Hospital
It's a whole different world in the hospital! There are people there from all different walks of life, under all different circumstances. Some are troubled over what will happen next; some are grieving over what has just happened; some are rejoicing over the arrival of a new baby; some are there just to comfort someone else; some are totally bewildered about the whole scene! However, over the course of a week spent there, you become quite familiar with the scene, and you get used to the routine of your reason for being there. Plus, many faces become quite familiar -- you become a family. Sometimes you greet one another cheerfully. Sometimes you just can't manage another smile. Sometimes you are in tears and wish you could just hide away and cry for awhile in private. Sometimes you feel like helping everyone you see who needs a friend. Sometimes you wish someone would notice that you are the one who needs a friend. Sometimes you are so lost in deep thought that you hardly notice anyone else. Sometimes you just can't believe what is happening to you and someone you love. But, one thing undeniable I noticed: Everyone seems to understand that you're all in this different world together.

Caretaker or Caregiver?
Soon after Larry came home from the hospital, I announced (in this blog) that I would be busy with my new job as "full-time nurse and caretaker". Ever since then, I've been thinking about the difference between a "care-taker" and care-giver". Which is which? When I discussed this with Larry he said that in our situation I am the care-giver and he is the care-taker. In other words, I am giving care to him and he is taking care from me. Yet, I truly have been thriving on giving care to him, and that, in turn, has been giving care to me too! Well, I will admit--I do get just a little weary now and then (like this morning--I slept on the couch until 11:00 A.M.!), but mostly I enjoy taking care of him. So, I guess that makes me a care-taker -- or am I care-giver? Perhaps I am both. Perhaps both are the same!

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away -- Blessed be the name of the Lord!
On August 24th Larry lost his job. On (or about) September 27th Larry lost his health. On September 28th Larry lost his health insurance. (His former employer went bankrupt, and since the company was self-insured, the insurance coverage ended--period--no "ifs", "ands", or "buts" about it!) What's next to lose? Certainly not our faith in God! God has a purpose in all of this. He has never failed us, and He never will. He is forever faithful! Blessed be the name of the Lord!

Now I am going back to bed.

13 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CML_Shearings said...

Praise God that you see who reigns especially when the Morton salt principle kicks in... You know, "when it rains, it pours". He's still in control & has His reasons.

Mister Ed T said...

So was all of Larry's hospital stay covered by insurance? Jehoveh Jireh does provide. In my opinion, care-givers look after people, whereas care takers look after things, like a school or a camp, etc.
Now get some rest!

Anonymous said...

Ed, no, none of Larry's medical expenses: urgent care clinic, hospital emergency room care, in-patient hospitalization, various cardiac procedures (including anagiogram), open-heart surgery (4-5 hours), various doctors (half a dozen or so), prescription medications (4, plus 3 over-the-counter meds) -- all our expense!
We are asking God for a miracle -- like hospital and doctors being willing to reduce or write off their bills. Please pray with us.

strider1971 said...

am praying always take care and get some rest

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Now i get it, I thought he would have had coverage for the surgery. We Canucks have more or less universal health care so your sort of experience is virtually unheard of. Will pray to Jehovah Jireh.
Uncle Ed

Montana Sherry C said...

Mom,

How is it not covered now? I thought you were told by the hospital administrator that they were required to cover you in this instance! Oh, my!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

We will definately be praying with you for a miracle from God. He still "does" miracles.

Ed and I have seen Him come thru in so many instances.

Love you both!

Anonymous said...

The Communitas Community in New Orleans is interceding on your behalf. We love you.

Chad

Eagle-eye Di said...

Our prayers are with the two of you.I agree with you on the hospital world way of living.As I read your post my mind immediately went back on each time we in Chicago with Dan getting surgery done.Family of those in the beds become one with each other.There becomes a closeness with feeling for one another and each of their own circumstances.Love ya Jeannie.Larry my prayer is that you are getting stronger each new morning you wake up.Love ya.

SUZIE Q said...

now there's a bill you don't want in the mail! We are praying for you, keep us posted

Anonymous said...

Your situation puts mine (and countless others) worries into a certain window entitled "not as important". I am really sad to hear of this financial blip....but I still stand with my interpretation of the sunflowers on your hearth...Sunny Days Ahead. I do not know sometimes how we get to that place, but thankfully God does and it is all about process and one day at a time. And as you know, there is no greater gift than having a man beside you who is now recovering and will be healthy again. I will pray for a great change of heart in the system and that some of these bills will be written off.....in the name of grace and mercy!

Anonymous said...

It's Wendy again. I know it's really not my business, but there are programs to help pay these bills - especially when you are un-employed. Talk to the people in charge of insurance/billing at the hospital. They can get you in touch with someone.