Today was a lousy weather day, but a very enjoyable day of friendship! My friend, Karen and I had plans for something big that only comes around once a year, and she wanted to get a good early start. The wake-up call I had planned on didn't wake me up since the volume on my CD player alarm clock was set to a very quiet, soothing sound to fall asleep by. Larry came in about 7:30 to gently wake me and remind me of my plans for the day, since I had told him the night before that I couldn't sleep in this morning.
Actually, he came in to see if I had yet discovered the weather conditions and what impact they might have on my plans. Plus, I guess he realized that either I was accidentally oversleeping, or that I needed to call Karen and see if she wanted to postpone our big day.
It was raining--not just sprinkling (as the internet weather news stated), but an honest-to-goodness, steady, clothes-soaking rain. Even through my sleepy eyes, I knew it would probably prevent optimum enjoyment of our plans. So, I sadly called Karen to offer another day this week. Karen wasn't the least bit deterred by the weather! She had been lying in bed, awake since 6:00 or 6:30, imagining how great it would be to go in the rain, since few others would show up! Plus, she said that according to the weather man, the rain would probably let up within an hour or so. I thought, "Yeah, right -- that's not the weather report I read", but I didn't tell Karen that.
She arrived a little before nine o'clock so we could get "a good early start", on our little journey to the annual "Street of Dreams". As if 9:00 A.M. just wasn't quite early enough, she showed up ten minutes early--just couldn't wait to get our day started. Plus, she really wanted to get a good, close place to park, and be nearly first in line to get our tickets.
Our travel time didn't take us anywhere near as long as she figured it would, so we were there about 20-25 minutes early--according to her calculations. (I had let her do all the planning for this, without even bothering to read the information on the advertisement flyer, since I had already been there a week and a half ago with Larry.) When we arrived at our destination, we were delighted to find very fews cars, and ecstatic to be able to park really close to the entrance area, since it was still raining cats & dogs.
We stepped out of the car, onto the very wet field-parking lot, into the rain, quickly pulling on our jackets and popping up our umbrellas, laughing at the weather and marveling at our wise planning. As we approached the ticket gate, we noticed that, not only was no one else in sight, it wasn't even open yet. Well, we were really early, so obviously it was too soon for the ticket office to be open. Then, as we stood there wondering what we should do besides stand in the rain and wait for the next twenty minutes, we both noticed the sign. At the same moment, we turned and faced each other and dropped our jaws. The sign said the hours were 11:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M., which meant we were an hour and twenty minutes early -- and it was pouring rain -- way out in the country, in the middle of nowhere! We stood there in the rain and laughed at ourselves, and then drudged back to the car.
Someone who was there to work told us there was a little "coffee spot" just down the road at a gas station. Sure enough there was. Actually, we spotted a general store and just assumed that was it, so we parked and went inside, glad to be in out of the rain. Karen bought a cup of coffee while I found the employees' private restroom, usually off-limits to customers. I thought, "Well, as long as we buy coffee, from the proprietor, I guess she'll be okay with me using her private bathroom. However, when I came out, Karen quietly let me know that this wasn't really the coffee spot we had been told about. It was simply a general store, with no place to sit and drink coffee--except on the bench outside--in the rain. The little coffee spot was across the street, at the gas station. So, up went our umbrellas, and we quickly ran through the rain, across the street to the gas station, laughing at ourselves once again. There we drank coffee and visited with the proprietor until time to head back to the "Street of Dreams".
By the time we got back, there were lots more hardy souls like ourselves, filling up the parking areas, and standing in line to buy tickets--in the rain. We ended up sharing our umbrellas with two other women huddling beside us in the rain, while we waited once again for the ticket office to open. Then we were finally on our way to tour six fabulous, brand new mansions -- yes, huge, incredibly beautiful way-over-sized "homes" (more like private lodges). Oh, what a way to live!
It's terribly hard to remain content with what you have, after spending even a couple of hours in places like that! It is truly a dream world!
Next, we were off to lunch, back into the real world, at a wonderful little French cafe-boulangerie, complete with all the amazing breads and desserts on display. We both decided on the soup de jour--white bean in a tomato base with fennel and sausage, which came with some really good French bread. It sounded delicious to both of us, but as we began to eat, we discovered that the beans were hard--almost crunchy--totally not fully cooked! That almost spoiled our fun -- until they graciously offered us something else to eat and our choice of any of their French pastries for dessert--free! Mm Mmm MMMM! That saved the day. As we left the restaurant, to walk back to the parking garage--through the pouring rain--we laughed again at the weather and all the fun we were having out and about in it together!
After that we stopped at a couple of stores that are great to browse/shop in, until Karen suddenly realized what time it was. It was way past time to call it a day and head home, but it was such a fun day--totally enjoyable, despite the rain -- a far better way to spend a gray, rainy day, than sitting in the house, looking out the window, and bemoaning the lousy summer weather!
Actually, he came in to see if I had yet discovered the weather conditions and what impact they might have on my plans. Plus, I guess he realized that either I was accidentally oversleeping, or that I needed to call Karen and see if she wanted to postpone our big day.
It was raining--not just sprinkling (as the internet weather news stated), but an honest-to-goodness, steady, clothes-soaking rain. Even through my sleepy eyes, I knew it would probably prevent optimum enjoyment of our plans. So, I sadly called Karen to offer another day this week. Karen wasn't the least bit deterred by the weather! She had been lying in bed, awake since 6:00 or 6:30, imagining how great it would be to go in the rain, since few others would show up! Plus, she said that according to the weather man, the rain would probably let up within an hour or so. I thought, "Yeah, right -- that's not the weather report I read", but I didn't tell Karen that.
She arrived a little before nine o'clock so we could get "a good early start", on our little journey to the annual "Street of Dreams". As if 9:00 A.M. just wasn't quite early enough, she showed up ten minutes early--just couldn't wait to get our day started. Plus, she really wanted to get a good, close place to park, and be nearly first in line to get our tickets.
Our travel time didn't take us anywhere near as long as she figured it would, so we were there about 20-25 minutes early--according to her calculations. (I had let her do all the planning for this, without even bothering to read the information on the advertisement flyer, since I had already been there a week and a half ago with Larry.) When we arrived at our destination, we were delighted to find very fews cars, and ecstatic to be able to park really close to the entrance area, since it was still raining cats & dogs.
We stepped out of the car, onto the very wet field-parking lot, into the rain, quickly pulling on our jackets and popping up our umbrellas, laughing at the weather and marveling at our wise planning. As we approached the ticket gate, we noticed that, not only was no one else in sight, it wasn't even open yet. Well, we were really early, so obviously it was too soon for the ticket office to be open. Then, as we stood there wondering what we should do besides stand in the rain and wait for the next twenty minutes, we both noticed the sign. At the same moment, we turned and faced each other and dropped our jaws. The sign said the hours were 11:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M., which meant we were an hour and twenty minutes early -- and it was pouring rain -- way out in the country, in the middle of nowhere! We stood there in the rain and laughed at ourselves, and then drudged back to the car.
Someone who was there to work told us there was a little "coffee spot" just down the road at a gas station. Sure enough there was. Actually, we spotted a general store and just assumed that was it, so we parked and went inside, glad to be in out of the rain. Karen bought a cup of coffee while I found the employees' private restroom, usually off-limits to customers. I thought, "Well, as long as we buy coffee, from the proprietor, I guess she'll be okay with me using her private bathroom. However, when I came out, Karen quietly let me know that this wasn't really the coffee spot we had been told about. It was simply a general store, with no place to sit and drink coffee--except on the bench outside--in the rain. The little coffee spot was across the street, at the gas station. So, up went our umbrellas, and we quickly ran through the rain, across the street to the gas station, laughing at ourselves once again. There we drank coffee and visited with the proprietor until time to head back to the "Street of Dreams".
By the time we got back, there were lots more hardy souls like ourselves, filling up the parking areas, and standing in line to buy tickets--in the rain. We ended up sharing our umbrellas with two other women huddling beside us in the rain, while we waited once again for the ticket office to open. Then we were finally on our way to tour six fabulous, brand new mansions -- yes, huge, incredibly beautiful way-over-sized "homes" (more like private lodges). Oh, what a way to live!
It's terribly hard to remain content with what you have, after spending even a couple of hours in places like that! It is truly a dream world!
Next, we were off to lunch, back into the real world, at a wonderful little French cafe-boulangerie, complete with all the amazing breads and desserts on display. We both decided on the soup de jour--white bean in a tomato base with fennel and sausage, which came with some really good French bread. It sounded delicious to both of us, but as we began to eat, we discovered that the beans were hard--almost crunchy--totally not fully cooked! That almost spoiled our fun -- until they graciously offered us something else to eat and our choice of any of their French pastries for dessert--free! Mm Mmm MMMM! That saved the day. As we left the restaurant, to walk back to the parking garage--through the pouring rain--we laughed again at the weather and all the fun we were having out and about in it together!
After that we stopped at a couple of stores that are great to browse/shop in, until Karen suddenly realized what time it was. It was way past time to call it a day and head home, but it was such a fun day--totally enjoyable, despite the rain -- a far better way to spend a gray, rainy day, than sitting in the house, looking out the window, and bemoaning the lousy summer weather!
Next time the gray skies and pouring rain is getting you down -- get out in it
6 comments:
Sounds like my post awhile back while I was down to Tom's.How To Catch A Star In The Falling Rain.Late at night with it colder then heck in the pouring rain we took a walk down the street.Why not do something someone else might not do.I realized someone looking out there window would wonder what idiots we were.The coffee tasted pretty good after we got back in out out it.Who ever thought of developing umbrellas whew where it was at.It sounds like you needed my trusty beach umbrella that day.Love ya.
Sounds like fun, Mom, good for you.
I smiled through your rainy tale. We even got a little of that drizzle, ( not pouring rain ), so the smoke has cleared & temp. dropped for a couple of days. PTL! I was in the garden thinning carrots & beets earlier when Ron came to get his trailer. He plans to move some cars. Guess this weather has energized him.
Cruchy beans, now that is nasty! However it sounds like you had a great day. What an interesting place to visit.
Wow, sounds like alot of fun.
Yo've been a pretty busy bee
Friends can maske almost anything fun.Ed
Post a Comment